Yellow Bullet Forums banner

LS6 cam in a 5.3?

10K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  ERV JR 
#1 ·
Ok guys please be patient with me, this is my first crack at an ls motor, it's going into my 80 Malibu and I'm kinda going to learn/ crash and burn as I go, the motor was givin to me after a friend aborted the project it was supposed to go into, I have no idea what year the motor is nor how to identify it, it has cathedral ports and center bolt valve covers and is drive by cable not drive by wire.
So... The hotrod budget is minimal here and I've been reading that an LS6 cam wakes these 5.3's quite nicely, I'm told that ls6 cam take outs are all over the place(i have yet to find one though) does anyone know what the lift/duration is on one? Is there an option that might be better suited to my needs? The motor will be carbed at first but will switch over to fi as my budget and knowledge hopefully grows.
Thankyou in advance for taking the time to share your wisdom with an bewildered ls newbie.

#3 ·
Sorry, please allow me to give the current combo and intended purpose.
The car is not a dedicated race car, I use it to run errands, pick up kids from school ect, it's been bracket raced and auto crossed and also has been on some road trips, I would hate to give up any of that cause a car that's only capable of one purpose would get old for me and my short attention span.
Currently the car has a sbc with a 700r4, 2800stall lockup converter and 3.73 gears, the car weighs 3400ish.
I hope this helps you to help me, please let me know if I've forgotten anything.

#4 ·
I have had the same car you are describing 5.3, 4l60e, 3.50 gear beater. With truck intake, iron manifolds, restalled truck converter, 26" tire, late Z06 cam, springs, and moly pshrods. 19-20 mpg, 13.30's on motor. Sprayed a lot of nitrous through it too.

#8 ·
This is what I'm hoping to accomplish, bottom 13's from a car that I can still drive anywhere, while I've got the engine tore down is it a good idea to put better rod bolts in it? I unbolted one of the rod caps to check a bearing cause nobody seems to know any of the history or even where this engine came from, bearing looked great, bores still have a nice cross hatch, I forgot which rod cap I pulled though.. One of my kids was having an issue that needed my attention asap, when I was able to return to my project I forgot..

#12 ·
Went 9.09 on stock rod bolts, and ring gaps in my Nova. Stock F-body pan, pick up was uncovering oil pressure dropping to 12psi at 5000+rpm ate a bearing. Unless you plan on tuning it 9000 rpm, you are wasting time, money and more likely to deform the rods with more torque.

Spray 275 shot on mine regularly, sprayed 325 once, trans flared on 2-3 shift, dbw closed tb and BOOM big nitrous explosion! Melted off 5 spark plug ground straps, blew the back out of the intake, disintegrated silicon elbow and ballooned air filter. Fresh plugs, air filter, cummins diesel elbow, epoxied intake back together and she wen a tenth quicker! Fuck all that taking the bottom end apart, it's a $200-$400 engine run that bitch til she blows up and stab another in.

#13 ·
Went 9.09 on stock rod bolts, and ring gaps in my Nova. Stock F-body pan, pick up was uncovering oil pressure dropping to 12psi at 5000+rpm ate a bearing. Unless you plan on tuning it 9000 rpm, you are wasting time, money and more likely to deform the rods with more torque.

Spray 275 shot on mine regularly, sprayed 325 once, trans flared on 2-3 shift, dbw closed tb and BOOM big nitrous explosion! Melted off 5 spark plug ground straps, blew the back out of the intake, disintegrated silicon elbow and ballooned air filter. Fresh plugs, air filter, cummins diesel elbow, epoxied intake back together and she wen a tenth quicker! Fuck all that taking the bottom end apart, it's a $200-$400 engine run that bitch til she blows up and stab another in.
Specs on nova please weight and gear.

#6 ·
Ok ls6 cam is .525 .525 couldnt buy a used one for my 5.3
I ended up with a 98-99 or 97-98 ls1 cam .500 .500 lift cam.
The 2000 era ls1 cam is around a .47x .47x lift cam.
Dont buy a .525 gto cam because it picks up the cam sensor off the timing gear. (unless thats your block) the others are at the back of the cam.
Btw i picked up a used lgm g5x1 cam 5.8x .57x cam for around $200
A little much duration for a carbed 5.3 but it likes the nitrous.

#10 ·
Great idea while your in in.
You are a perfect candidate for a small nitrous shot(100) aswell. That car will run 12s when you want it to.

#20 ·
My buddy put a bone stock ,unknow mileage 5.3 in his 69 nova. he put a super victor and 750 carb with msd 6010. th350 w 3000 converter and 4.10 gears. I mini tubbed the car and it sits on a 28x10.5. factory buckets and back seat. glass hood and alum radiator are the only light weight things. 1 3/4 headers. Car went 7.88 in the 1/8 ,should be good for a 12.30

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.