Yellow Bullet Forums banner

RENEGADE RACING Discussion thread

33K views 566 replies 55 participants last post by  jonesy1 
#1 ·
We created this thread as an area to ask questions, gather info and discuss policy for the RENEGADE RACING ASSOCIATION. We are looking for your input to better help OUR group grow and be stronger next season.

We would also like to thank all the racers who came out and supported the series, you guys are the best and have become like family. A big thank you goes out to all of our SPONSORS who supported the racers with great prizes and incentives [remember to support them back racers and make sure to mention us]. ALSO lets not forget thanking JIM CURTIS and THOMPSON RACEWAY PARK they gave us the venue and a great track.

#100 ·
WOW JEFF COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO HASNT RACED IN YEARS NOW YOUR GONNA KICK A BROTHER WHEN HES DOWN :( JUST REMEMBER ONE THING JEFFY- I STILL WENT FASTER THEN YOU :) BIATCH WITH NO NOS :finga::finga::finga::smt102:butthead:
Gerry whats the fastest you ever been ? i been 8.70's at 155 . Sure it was in my roadster but it was a "street roadster"..;)

#89 ·
SO YOU GUYS WANNA COME UP WITH SOME RULES AND IDEAS ABOUT MAKING THE STREET RENEGADE RACE BETTER

1-YOU DONT WANT ELECTRIC SHIFTERS,BUT YOU ALLOW LEXAN WINDOWS ?

2-YOU WANT THE STREET CAR LOOK BUT ALLOW CHASSIS CARS WITH A NO MINIMUM WEIGHT ?

3-YOU ALLOW CLUTCHLESS TRANSMISSIONS AND DIGITAL BOXES ?

4-YOU ALLOW FORWARD FACING HOOD SCOOPS

SO EXPLAIN TO ME WHERE THE STREET CAR ASPECT COMES IN ?

I UNDERSTAND ITS A 8.90 INDEX -BUT @ 3330 #,S IM GONNA HAVE TOP RACE AGAINST 2600 # CARS THAT ARE BUILT FOR BRAKET RACING -

YOU NEED SOME SMALL RULES AND THATS IT -

LEXAN WINDOWS ARE NOT STREETABLE-YOU NEED HEADLIGHT-BLINKERS-TAIL LIGHTS AND A HORN-AND INSURANCE AND LICENSE PLATES

IF NOT ALL YOU HAVE IS

BRACKET BRAWLERS

NEED A MINIMUM WEIGHT - JUST MY OPINION

THOSE ARE ALL STREETABLE THINGS

#91 · (Edited)
SO YOU GUYS WANNA COME UP WITH SOME RULES AND IDEAS ABOUT MAKING THE STREET RENEGADE RACE BETTER

1-YOU DONT WANT ELECTRIC SHIFTERS,BUT YOU ALLOW LEXAN WINDOWS ?

2-YOU WANT THE STREET CAR LOOK BUT ALLOW CHASSIS CARS WITH A NO MINIMUM WEIGHT ?

3-YOU ALLOW CLUTCHLESS TRANSMISSIONS AND DIGITAL BOXES ?

4-YOU ALLOW FORWARD FACING HOOD SCOOPS

SO EXPLAIN TO ME WHERE THE STREET CAR ASPECT COMES IN ?

I UNDERSTAND ITS A 8.90 INDEX -BUT @ 3330 #,S IM GONNA HAVE TOP RACE AGAINST 2600 # CARS THAT ARE BUILT FOR BRAKET RACING -

YOU NEED SOME SMALL RULES AND THATS IT -

LEXAN WINDOWS ARE NOT STREETABLE-YOU NEED HEADLIGHT-BLINKERS-TAIL LIGHTS AND A HORN-AND INSURANCE AND LICENSE PLATES

IF NOT ALL YOU HAVE IS

BRACKET BRAWLERS

NEED A MINIMUM WEIGHT - JUST MY OPINION

THOSE ARE ALL STREETABLE THINGS

Ya know Gerry you have a point and here is why. A few weeks ago I went to the NHRA Unleashed event to just run the 9.50 class. I felt like I had brought a knife to a gun fight as I was only one there on radials, without wheelie bars, threw mufflers and averaged probably a good 6 to 700 lbs more then them. Granted I could run the numbers but by far the overall advantage was to them to run consistently. Every car there would of been able to run in the 8.90 index.

At that point I got a very sour taste as I am a street appearing car and ACTUALLY drives mine on the street and I refuse to turn mine into a dedicated race car which is what most of the cars I seen race there. I will admit that I am a nobody and my car did not attend any races this year but at this point I have given up hope even if the car could run 8.90 on the buttton.

I have to give props to Blaze and Ray as there cars are street appearing to the T and have won. Those are the target cars that represent the class well. On the filp side though I understand that cars like that are far and few between.

#90 ·
I hate to say but if your runnin 8.90 you need to be more of a race car for safety. I understand the street appearing. But some of you guys need to losen up. were not racing for millions of dollars. We are out having fun with the chance of making a few bucks. And please tell me what a clutchless trans has to do with anything? I shift 5 times without a clutch. But I still have to pull the next lever. Most guys run a glide, so you got to shift ONCE. tell me where the advantage is. Seems like we got alot of guys who will take their kick ball home if the game isn't going their way. Stop whining and race. And if I offend any of the STREET cars, I personally don't care. If you want to push the street car thing, lets go for a 20 mile cruise and see how many will make it back. I will in my 3300 pound, clutchless shifted, chassis car with struts. ANY TAKERS? If not , lets stop throwin stone and race.

#93 ·
I hate to say but if your runnin 8.90 you need to be more of a race car for safety. I understand the street appearing. But some of you guys need to losen up. were not racing for millions of dollars. We are out having fun with the chance of making a few bucks. And please tell me what a clutchless trans has to do with anything? I shift 5 times without a clutch. But I still have to pull the next lever. Most guys run a glide, so you got to shift ONCE. tell me where the advantage is. Seems like we got alot of guys who will take their kick ball home if the game isn't going their way. Stop whining and race. And if I offend any of the STREET cars, I personally don't care. If you want to push the street car thing, lets go for a 20 mile cruise and see how many will make it back. I will in my 3300 pound, clutchless shifted, chassis car with struts. ANY TAKERS? If not , lets stop throwin stone and race.

Its always the ones that never raced the class that throws the gas in the fire. Its a fun race an l hope the winter months don't get everyone in an uproar over rules BS. Sounds to me like Norwalk sent a few of their bitchers down to try an ruin a good race!

#96 ·
And if we were pure to a "real street" set of rules we'd have four cars? That's why we created the class because there aren't 16 cars that can run 8.90 under those rules. AKA Norwalk, 4 cars run the number and the other 8 are in the 10s.

I could live with no forward facing scoops and any 10.5 tire, but I got hammered for suggesting it earlier. As for lexan windows, we've got several guys that have them for windshields and rear windows. You can't tell them from glass. The side windows with the frames don't have the street look but it's a tough one to change back.

We've first need to bring our current cars up to a minumum standard, which is our published rules. Some cars need to work on interiors (dashes and tin need fixed), for sure get any boxes out of the cars and get working head lights and tails.

#111 ·
Wow, since when did we allow all these flyweight cars to come and dominate like they did this year? Some of you are steaming over a street driven car with a tiny wheelbase and a straight axle frontend that only ran 9.30's? RE-READ the rules there is some verbage that says IF IT DOESN'T FIT THE SPIRIT, IT DOESN'T RACE. We turned away cars this year and we'll do it again next if they don't fit, give us a little credit guys.

GERRY PENN, since you attended all the races as a spectator and mingled with the crowd and racers, did you hear anyone complaining about the cars appearance, weight or blinkers? When Jim Breeze did that massive wheelstand at the last race, did anyone say "well that sucks, he doesn't weigh 3k.."? Did you talk to the guy who brings his camper [from south of pittsburgh] and his whole family to our races and only cheers to 'our street racers' as you pass them on the return road?

These are fun races with a really good group of racers, its a simple concept with basic rules, lets not overthink it.

#112 ·
it sounds to me like most of the bitchen is coming from the people who watch the races and wishes they could be in them, did the winner of the 8.90 race complain about the chassi car not winning or anyone not having turn signals. the rules worked very well this year and the car count and fans showed that. so shut up get your ready junk to race next year. then if you dont win find a reason to wine!!!!! Tom you guys did a great job with the classes and we will be back next year to help support and race. with out crying about the rules.

#115 ·
I say you add an 11.50 class.......pphhhhh......I wish. Love watching programs like these though,never been to Thompson to watch but index racing in general is awesome.

#128 ·
Back on topic.
I like the no shifter discussion. I vote no shifter

I think you should leave the tire rules alone (says the little tire guy)
The weight thing s a tough one to me. I dont like the idea of racing a car that weighs a thousand pounds less than me BUT you guys did a GREAT job of keeping the cars within the spirit of the class. If there were scales at thompson then I would say yes but there are not.

I LOVE the points idea

I vote NO to traveling. TRP went out on a limb and supported this class and I think we should stay there. Trails is close to me but I say we go home with the girl we brought to the dance.

How about making a poll and allow any racer that attended a race can vote

And Gerry the car is looking great:Kneel

#132 ·
10.50 RENEGADE RULES

1. Full-bodied factory street type cars/trucks (domestic and import, ANY power adder permitted)
2. Working Headlights and Taillights mandatory, this means headlights NOT foglamps
3. NO DRAGSTERS, ROADSTERS, ALTERDS OR CENTER STEER CARS
4. Must be street appearing/no gutted interiors/carpeted interior even if rear seat is removed (The interior should look clean and professionally done)
5. Must have interior door panels
6. Racecar lettering on windows only (minor exceptions may apply)
7. Back half or stock REAR suspension permitted
8. NO Lexan permitted (rear lexan permitted for cage exit)
9. Must have stock style front suspension
10. No full round or square tube chassis cars
11. Any size drive tires permitted

ELECTRONICS

12. Bracket Racing Aids: No throttle stops, No Electric shifters or Optical sensors.
13. No delay boxes or other driver aided electronics.
14. Progressive Nitrous controller system permitted
15. No electric or air shifters.

SAFETY

All cars must meet all current IHRA/NHRA SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
Drivers are required to wear the required safety equipment for the ET's that are being run.

THERE WILL BE NO 'GUTTED' RACECARS PERMITTED TO RACE, IF THE CAR DOESN'T FIT THE SPIRIT OF THE RULES IT WILL NOT RACE WITH THE 10.50 INDEX CARS.

FORMAT

1/4 MILE RACE
.400 PRO TREE (COURTESY STAGING IN EFFECT)
16 CAR QUALIFIED FIELD (All Cars Will Race)
CARS QUALIFIED 10.4999 OR QUICKER ARE SITUATED AFTER THE SLOWEST QUALIFIED CAR IN THE FINAL QUALIFYING ORDER.

#135 ·
Thats why this race series will thrive, because the people behind it want to listen to the racers wants an needs to enter the program. They know how hard it is to keep cars running an people interested to have a full field every week. They watch the spectators to see how the react to certain types of cars, thats what the track an racers need. Not like a track nearby that has rules that are only truly known an understood by the tech crew an the racers are a bunch of dumbasses that must change their entire car around to possibly get a second look an see if it might match the program they have in mind.

#155 ·
Hey it was nice meeting you sunday,needless to say,that was an interesting race,lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.