Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Another Legendary Midwest Dragstrip Closing.... KCIR

21K views 117 replies 70 participants last post by  lsxpinto 
#1 ·
The land KCIR has been on since 1967 has been sold to KC parks and rec.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/02...p-for-new.html

The politicians say they're gonna help find acreage for a new location... Rank that quote right up there with "No New Taxes".

I am sick to my stomach.

#111 ·
Statement From Rob Park (one of KCIR's owners).

Throughout history KCIR has had its trials and tribulations that we have all had to endure and this chapter is no different. To all of the loyal fans and racers I can’t thank you enough for all your support. I am sorry I have not communicated on a broad spectrum earlier but by a contractual obligation and advice of our attorney we were asked to refrain from any public statements for the time being. I have since realized with all of the uncertainty it is vitally important that everyone know our side of the story, or at least as much as we are allowed to share at this time. I assure you it will be fully disclosed in time.
The entire story is too lengthy to tell in detail but I will attempt to give you the Cliff’s notes version. After we sold the track in 2008, the owner at that time offered to sell KCIR to the city for a park (which was necessary to complete the housing development across the road) and planned to build a new motorsports facility in conjunction with a road course up by the airport. As we all know those plans took a dramatic halt.
After learning the plans a group of investors had for the property, that didn’t include a drag strip, I set out on a mission to help save the track. With family life as my priority (wife and four kids) I knew I didn’t have the time available to put forth towards the track, as an owner, that it needed. Luckily Chris was in a position that he was willing to help even knowing the uncertainties surrounded by the current situation. I can assure you, without Chris we never would have even got this far.
Shortly after the transition I was approached by neighborhood and city officials to discuss the future of the track in its current location. I was asked to develop a proposal for what I felt would be a viable motorsports entity that would be located within Kansas City and would be a draw for the city. With the aid of Dan Porrevechio (yes he actually has been helping ) we developed a very comprehensive plan to relocate the track and develop a motorsports business that would be a “win” for everyone involved. As time went by we needed an answer and gave the city a deadline, the deadline approached and they asked for a week extension (which we granted) at the end of the week is when we received our first letter. You have all seen that one. Since that time, not knowing exactly what was going to happen, we have spent a considerable amount of time and money consulting with our attorneys looking for any other options and none were available. To this date no one has came to us with any options. The ability to exercise eminent domain through the use of condemnation is a very powerful and it is very expensive to the land owner(s). We have been given a very loud and clear message we are not wanted here. If you read between the lines of what is being said publicly you can see the play on words and how they are trying to use them to their advantage.
Our intentions never have been or will be to eliminate drag racing in Kansas City. Remember how I make my living. Anyone that actually knows me knows better. I do have a desire to help with a new track that we could all enjoy with much fewer restrictions in an area that we are welcome. We are continuing discussions to try to find a feasible solution for all racers, fans and owners.
Again, I can’t thank all of you supporters enough for what you are trying to do.
Rob Park

#112 ·
Statement from Track Manager, Todd Bridges,

To All Parties Involved:

The time has come for the facts to be known. Frankly as a person who is facing losing their livelihood (along with many others) I want the facts to be exposed and for people to be in a position to make a decision as to what is right and what is wrong. He said, she said is getting us nowhere and not serving anyone. I ask that those that have the power release ALL DOCUMENTED FACTS and free up everyone involved to speak freely about FACTS. Emails, documented conversations, contracts, correspondence, financial impacts, costs to accomplish stated goals, etc. Our Community leaders should meet their obligation to serve the public and allow this to happen. Make this a transparent process so that what should be done in the best interest of the majority can be done.

This is a complex situation that has a simple solution that at the end of the day most, if not all, can live with. Keep the track in operation for a defined period of time and find a new home for a motorsports attraction the will continue to benefit the City and make room for the park.

Regards,

Todd Bridges

#115 ·
Has anyone stopped being mad long enough to contact SEMA to get thier attorneys and reps. involved? Isn't that part of the reason SEMA exists, to protect the future of our hobby? even the Spartens lost the war due to the size of thier army. Can't expect KCIR owners to fight this battle on thier own and win, just to much power and money behind the other side. The money and efforts put into this from both sides should have been put into a new facility years ago near an airport, but with long term writen agreements (like 99+ years) with the airport and surrounding land owners NOT to expand, build houses, bussinesses near/through the race track! Speedway area would make perfect sense. But just like everything else everyone can't get along. The NASCAR people would think drag racers are stupid for just wanting to go wide open for a 1/4mile at a time and the drag racers think going around in a circle NOT bashing into each other is gay (me included). Hell us gear heads can't get along with each other. Harley riders VS. Jap and Euro bikes, etc.... I would be willing to bet it all that someone involved in shutting down KCIR owns a loud ass Harley (I have 5 Harleys and about 15 Jap bikes none without real mufflers) or a classic car. We need to use our power of numbers to keep our hobby, our lifestyle alive.
A lot of us probably think the 4x4 crowd is a bunch of dirty ******** but there are atleast 3times the members on pirate4X4 than there are here. If we don't all band together we will be the outlaws that hotrodders were in the 50's with NO where to race legally PERIOD!

#118 ·
Thanks for posting those. I don't get over here that much but I wanted to share some more videos for everyone.

Mayor Sly James spent over 30 minutes with us last Thursday night.
Here are a couple that I took of the Mayor of KCMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h87CA4oXiAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHuy5u8THlU

and I have some others on my YouTube page if you are interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/87gn

Thanks
Scott Reed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.