Yellow Bullet Forums banner

383 sbc cam issue

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  trmnatr 
#1 ·
i have been playing around with the timing on the cam a lil. just wonderin what you guys are thinkin now. its 383 14:1 dart pro1 215 5800 converter. cam is 272-278 @50 621-625 lift with 1.5 rocker 108 seperation- originally this yr installed it at 104,car would run 1.48-1.50 60ft with 10.75-10.85 et at 123 124- this past weekend i took the car back out after retarding the cam-i did not re degree it this time-i am goin off the dots on hex adjust, but anyway i believe the cam is at 106 right now-car has its best 60ft ever went 1.43-1.44 all day-it picked up 3mph in the 1/8 and 1-2 in 1/4-and also went from 10.54-10.58.

now my question is-i have had guys on here in the motor section tell me the cam is to big,i have had a engine builder just tell me since i retarded the cam and it went faster generally means cam is to small,i had comp,crower,crane tech guys tell me cam is where i need to be- just throwin this out there and see what i get back now

#3 ·
is it pretty normal to put the cams in straight up????? im actually thinkin since it did help retarding it- i might try and retard another 2* and see what it does-before i do it this tim though im gonna degree the cam again and see where im actually at

#4 ·
If the camshaft is correct it can, but remember, how many degree's is your timing chain/belt/drive retarding at engine speed from back lash in timing set up

I have seen 1° to 3° depending on set up. I think your cam is wrong, but just an opinion.

#7 ·
Oh you don't have a weather station? lun40119 is correct. At least use an online weather DA program

Drag Times does log the baro, temp and humidity for many tracks out there, and someone posted in the N/A section another site that has data to calculate DA at different tracks

The Drag Times DA calculator is pretty close to data we have from the track, so it will indeed help you compare ET's better than having no DA data
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.