Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Re-splining axles

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Fast57 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a shop around Atlanta or west georgia that can respline axles?

#3 ·
Have a set never had balls to run them. Axles are not super cheap but neither is new car. Resplined axle and any real horsepower is asking for meeting with the wall.

#4 · (Edited)
I will warn you on this, lots of guys respline axles in a milling machine with an index fixture. Its hard to get the correct cut in the spline. There should be very little movement from spool to axle. Best to send them where they came from unless its an oem deal. If you just need an inch or 2 off an have a moser or strange with excess spline cut them off in a chop saw an dress the end with a file. Most axles have 4 to 5 inches of spline at the end. rule of thumb if you axle is 1 1/4 you need an 1 1/4 in the spool

#9 ·
Many places can cut splines but not many can put the case hardening back into the new splined area and there lies the problem with resplining. There are many companies that now have cheap street axles and I would suggest that before resplining old axles if proper race axles are not in the budget.

Hutch

#10 ·
Well Cameronvic I quess you just have to beat someone up and tell them nothing dude, it was just a simple question and I got some senseable answers from most everyone but you . I really can not afford new shorter axles right now and I am not making massive HP right now either, that was the reason for asking this question so please feel free to fall off the earth if you can't or won't give a decent answer sir !!!! No reason to be a jerk.

#11 ·
Thanks guys that had positive answers/comments, the axles a new currie enterprises performance axles from a brand new never run 9 inch that was supposed to be in a 1969 Mustang. I am putting it in my 57 Fairlane and it is a pretty good bit wider than the 57 stock rear housing and we were thinking of narrowing the thing to start with. Currie said the axles would take 750 HP and that they could do the re spline but shipping form the east coast to California aint gonna be cheap round trip thats why I was asking for closer/east coast service.I am not actually new to this stuff just rusty like the old ford and never had a reason til now to narrow a rear end, just wanting to get some tire under my 460 powered 57 Fairlane street car. Like I said thanks to those that replied to the positive and sorry about the last post I know everone does not want to see other people talk about others here, thats not what I am here for, just some info/help.

#13 ·
You probalby should not

but maybe you can answer the "ability" to respline the axles by someone
if you read and look / observe at what I say..

pull out both axles and LOOK at where the spline area length ENDS..

if the round unsplined area where the spline ends at is SMALLER than the area that the splines are..
then obviously, the shank shaft area is not large enough to cut a new longer spline..
many many STOCK axles are typically smaller in diameter just beyond where the spline ends....
this is because on an original ford production car axle,
the splines are FORMED rather than being CUT....

currie could have used ANYTHING....
they are known at one time to respline stock axles when shorter over all length is employed..
we have no way to know what type is actually in what you got.

#14 ·
The axles are large enough in diameter to respline and I called Moser today and they said it would be NO problem to do. they said that the whole length of the shaft would be hard enough and not be a problem since the diameter is the same for the majority of the shaft till it gets close to the bearing. and the splines will not be cut through the hardened layer of the axle shaft. one final note reasonably priced service too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.