Yellow Bullet Forums banner

OK Engine Builders. Who makes the best Roller Rocker Arms?

37K views 67 replies 53 participants last post by  Jp outlaw 
#1 ·
Got a customers car in here that was running like crap and discovered a broken Comp Cam Pro Magnum Roller Rocker. Not sure if I want to just replace the broken one and possibly have more break later on. This is a Dart Pro 1 headed 632 that was bought complete intake to pan as a Sportsman Series type race engine and the owner doesn't want to splurge for shaft rockers so i'm looking to just replace the set with the best I can find. Motor makes approx. 940hp. Thanks.

#5 ·
Just a thought, you might want to make sure "something" didn't break that rocker.

Any ideas what the spring seat and over the nose numbers are??

What size pushrods???

Keith

#12 ·
Got a customers car in here that was running like crap and discovered a broken Comp Cam Pro Magnum Roller Rocker. Not sure if I want to just replace the broken one and possibly have more break later on. This is a Dart Pro 1 headed 632 that was bought complete intake to pan as a Sportsman Series type race engine and the owner doesn't want to splurge for shaft rockers so i'm looking to just replace the set with the best I can find. Motor makes approx. 940hp. Thanks.
If your looking for a brand that has never had one break, or want to gaurantee that you wont break another one .... I'd convert to OHC.

#14 ·
Dan, make SURE those rockers are in fact Comps, they get calls all the time about broken Magnum rockers, turns out they are Chinese knockoffs that look very similar to the Comp Magnums. The Comps say CC on them, if they don't say that then they are NOT Comps.

The Comp Magnums are some tough stuff, I personally have not seen one broken, but that does not mean it doesn't happen.

#15 ·
Yea, I have not seen one break either, thats why i am thinking something broke it.

Unless they are the China knockoffs.....

Keith

#16 ·
The comp magnums that it sounds like your using should be plenty. If your staying with steel I'd stick with them. It looks like a lot of the rockers others are referencing are alluminum.

While I like the Crane Gold alluminum rockers and the harland sharps, neither will be as strong as the "real" comp magnums.

The fulcrum and shaft in the magnums seem very stout. Its been a few years since I've farted with them since we went shaft style but I always had good luck with them.

#57 ·
The comp magnums that it sounds like your using should be plenty. If your staying with steel I'd stick with them. It looks like a lot of the rockers others are referencing are alluminum.

While I like the Crane Gold alluminum rockers and the harland sharps, neither will be as strong as the "real" comp magnums.

The fulcrum and shaft in the magnums seem very stout. Its been a few years since I've farted with them since we went shaft style but I always had good luck with them.
x2

#17 ·
Ran Crane Gold for yrs, and the past few years well over 1800hp , with stud mounted crane golds, no failures. I just sold them for a good price, upgrading to jesel, but they never let me down.....pure comedy

#18 ·
JESEL.... why even buy anything else.

#21 ·
These are Real Comp Cam Pro Magnums. Have CC embossed right on the side along with the 1.7 ratio.. The thin metal area surrounding the lower part of the bearing trunnion is was broke away on one side. This guy has somewhere to be with the car this weekend so if I can get one replacement in enough time I may just do that, otherwise I will get him a new set and let him sell off these. This guy is retired on a fixed income and can't afford to drop $800-$1000 right now when he can get into a new set of rockers for less than $300.

#31 ·
These are Real Comp Cam Pro Magnums. Have CC embossed right on the side along with the 1.7 ratio.. The thin metal area surrounding the lower part of the bearing trunnion is was broke away on one side. This guy has somewhere to be with the car this weekend so if I can get one replacement in enough time I may just do that, otherwise I will get him a new set and let him sell off these. This guy is retired on a fixed income and can't afford to drop $800-$1000 right now when he can get into a new set of rockers for less than $300.
I had the same thing happen to my comp pro-magnums. Broke the outside of the bearing trunnion. Replaced it and have not had any more problems. I still do not know what caused it.

#23 ·
Im not a engine builder by no means. but i have used them all and cant say i have had any trouble with any paticular brand . Im also wondering if the rockers on that engine maybe imitations of Comp Cams. or something had to break it uless the rockers are extremely brittle ,but not likely either. But in my opinion Jesel are the best and then i like Crane Golds , then Harland Sharpe, then T&D. Is the valve straight? and is the head off? POst some PICS i would like to see where the rocker broke.

#29 ·
Isky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.