Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Norinco 1911

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  shaneus 
#1 ·
I found a Norinco 1911A1 last week that was just too nice to ignore so I gave a deposit to hold it. I have heard almost nothing but good about Norinco 1911's but never had one.

The goal would be to use as a base for a reliable conceal carry rig. I have other 1911's but never had a GI style.

Any one have any experience with a Norinco ? This thing is a clean as can be and the price is fair.

#2 ·
I bought one back in the early 90's and never had a problem with it. Paid like 150 for it. Shot about 10k through it and unloaded it about 5 years ago for 450. It never really had any problems unless I let it get VERY dirty.

#3 ·
Three words if the price is resonable, buy it ASAP. I picked a couple in the early 90's when you could get them NIB for $200 when they were still allowed to be imported. One of then I sent to Bill Wilson, way back when the Wilson name was unknown and he was a one man shop. The Norinco 1911 was one of only four 1911's brands that he would customize and the other 3 included Colt. There were other American brands that he refused to accept for customization, which I won't name.
I still have them, one has always been a range/trainer weapon and it's basically still stock. The only thing that I have ever done to that one was to install Colt walnut grips, polish the ramp so it would feed wadcutters and I installed a Wilson LW trigger shoe. Everything else is bone stock Norinco. After a few thousand rounds I did dress the sear.

Pro's: great out of the box accuracy for a 1911 , the hammer/sear are hard enough, frame to slide fitment is good and the barrel lug to slide fitment during lockup is usually damn good for a cheap gun.

Cons: you normally will see some tool marks on the frame and around the slide serrations, they have the worst plastic grips ever and the trigger can have a fair amount of creep. However, it's a cheap gun.

Seal the deal

M

#4 ·
Thanks for the comments.
MrMike, you describe this pistol to a "T", the finish is excellent except for some less than perfect slide serrations and the trigger is about the worst I've seen in a 1911 and the plastic grips are cheap-o.

Otherwise this pistol is nearly perfect (except for having typical Norinco rollmarks) . Since you have good knowledge, can you tell me if the finish is typically good, deep blueing? After seeing a bunch on the internet it appears many were almost parkerized looking with the others not being a nice deep blued finish. This pistol has a very nice deep finish with no scratches. Makes me wonder if it has been re finished.

Will pick it up this week.
Shaneus

#5 ·
Hmmm, it was a decent finish for a $200 gun in 1992 dollars, 100% uniform across the entire pistol, no. I have only have one with the original finish and IIRC the others were consistent with this one. The frame is blued, however it's closer to blue black, the slide is blued but the finish on the sides of the slide is knocked down to where it almost looks like a fine matte black oxide, it's definitely not gray or green parkerizing though.

As far as CC, I don't know what your stature is, but myself being 6'3" 235 , I've never have had a problem hiding a full grip frame 1911. I would shop carefully for a holster that fits the gun well and fits your style of carry. I'm in no way associated with the company below I just like his products.

http://dalefrickeholsters.com/index.htm

Mike

#8 ·
Yes Carl, I dropped of the grid for a bit. It's good to see that you are still around and I noticed the place is still the same too.

Mike

#7 ·
The one I had was parkerized and the first thing I did was change the grips. Other than that, it shot as straight as my expensive Colt's and didn't jam near as much.

#10 ·
My first gun purchase was a Norinco 1911 in '93. I still have it and it's stock except for Hogue grips, been a very good weapon for the money. I wondered why I haven't seen many of them didn't know they couldn't be imported anymore?

#11 ·
In Canada we're still getting lots of them imported all the time. There are now several models with varying features and finishes. I have a GI model that has served me well.

They have good quality steel and serve as a decent platform for a custom build.

Of course, there's lots of nicer 1911's out there, but when you can still buy them new for $350 the norinco 1911's are great value for the money.

#13 ·
Ok, the Norinco came home with me and after cleaning, inspecting and taking to the range I am pretty happy. Sadly I think I see t he start of the barrel lugs starting to hammer out (like others have reported in early Norincos). The lugs look good at this point but close examination shows the lugs front corners to be shining up and starting to deform.

The question I have is about drop in barrels. Locally I am out of luck for a gunsmith that could fit a barrel. So after lots of reading and weighing of options I am thinking about ordering an Ed Brown drop in. Anyone have any experience doing this ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.