Yellow Bullet Forums banner

what does it take to build a 750 hp bbc on pump gas

13K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  SS402 
#1 ·
i just bought a 1979 malibu ,im wanting to build it to be a cruiser and run on pump gas ,and run the 10.0 index on motor but still take it to the shore for a weeken drive ..
im figuring the car will weigh 32-3300 lbs i plan on getting fiberglass bumpers and a deck lid and taking some weight out of the frame with a tubular front where the motor mounts and getting tubular a arms ect ..
should i be shooting for like a 540 ci motor or can i do it with a stock crank and stroke 454 bottom end ..what are some budget heads i can get (used ot new )i was planning on running a i beam rod with steel crank and some forged pistons in a stock block ..
can i get away with a hydrolic roller cam or a flat tappet im trying to stay away from big lift solid rollers .i just wanted the pistons and crank just in case down the road i put a plate on it ..
what kind of combo can i expect to have to build with a bbc ???

#3 ·
no idea on the bbc set-up but my buddies 436sbc would fit the bill it,s been in the 9.60,s all motor on 94octane and has a hyd roller , 23deg heads , he does have a killer convertor( 8" coan 5500stall ) in the set-up , but it,s streetable i spent 4 hrs oneday crusing in it and no issues even on the highway for 30miles

#5 ·
You can do it but you'll need to spend some money on the heads to get it right and still be really driveable. A well ported set of ~320 heads, no reason to run a hyd roller, get a solid roller - numbers depend on how the heads are, 10.5:1 comp and you should be able to hit 750.

#7 ·
I've seen two different bbc based on 540 CI making enoughower to hit high 9's with one, and bottom 10's with the other. Both ran the same bottom end. Mine was eagle rot assembly, 748 lift cam (i don't remember duration, but i could find it) and topped with pro1 345's. Single plane intake with a 1095 king demon. It ran 9.85 at 3000 lbs at 3500 ft elevation. One guy that races with us, had the same bottom end, but 305 cc heads, a smaller cam, and EFI. He is running a very street friendly Monte Carlo (read heavy), and has hit 10.10's at same tracks on premium.

#9 ·
actually right now withthe new baby i dont have alot of time but for some reason i always just have to build stuff ..
last year was the 331 sbf rx7 convertable 1990 fc ,sold it after the summer ,had a manual vb aod with electric od ect and a 331 sbf

then before that it was a 2 fogger 1988 gti with a 2.0l swap dropped on some radials ,went 12.50 and was a nice driver

motor

before the gti it was the jeep for my wife ..

im gonna put up a post my life building cars ..i have built almost a car every year for about the last 12 years ..i dont know why i just love pulling stuff apart and making cars the way i want them ..
now the new project is a 79 malibu ..

#10 ·
Just buy my 509 I have for sale in the parts section!:)

It went 6.3xx's on motor in a 3280 lb car on pump gas.

#18 ·
#12 ·
If there is no Cube limit the bigger the better on pump gas, there is a diminishing return on HP per cube when the fuel used is a limiter, more cubic inches more power why use a 454 when a 615 will do.

#15 ·
My friend just swapped his small block for a 540 (don't know if the guy is on here) and the 540 is 10:1 with BB2x cnc ported heads and a 454R intake and based off the et he was running makes right about 725-750. that was with a 274/282 solid roller.

#16 ·
i just bought a 1979 malibu ,im wanting to build it to be a cruiser and run on pump gas ,and run the 10.0 index on motor but still take it to the shore for a weeken drive ..
im figuring the car will weigh 32-3300 lbs i plan on getting fiberglass bumpers and a deck lid and taking some weight out of the frame with a tubular front where the motor mounts and getting tubular a arms ect ..
should i be shooting for like a 540 ci motor or can i do it with a stock crank and stroke 454 bottom end ..what are some budget heads i can get (used ot new )i was planning on running a i beam rod with steel crank and some forged pistons in a stock block ..
can i get away with a hydrolic roller cam or a flat tappet im trying to stay away from big lift solid rollers .i just wanted the pistons and crank just in case down the road i put a plate on it ..
what kind of combo can i expect to have to build with a bbc ???

just goto TUNETIME :-D

#25 ·
i dont need a blown up anything ..just a realstic veiw on whats out there ..ha!ha!...nosking ...
i actually stopped at the guys from j&e earlier in the week and said 9.70 should be a no brainer ..
how about a 565 conventional head on pump all motor 3750 going 9.50:-D

or a 598 conventional head on pumpgas all motor 3480 8.94 with a mile long list things wrong:cool:

just something to think about.....are you sure you dont want to goto tunetime?:smt040

#24 ·
I have a 505 that will do that easily, but I don't have it advertised right now because it is apart and being machined so we can freshen everything in it. I o-ringed the block and switched to copper head gaskets the last time we freshened it and plan to keep it this way since I use it for a spare for my Top Sportsman car at Divisional events, and still want to be able to do that if I don't sell it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.