Yellow Bullet Forums banner

What intake to make optimum HP and TQ on

5K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  jeff c 
#1 ·
PLEASE HELP ME get this little problem worked out.

I have a Set of BB2X heads pretty much as is from Brodix except for a nice clean up, Re-did the factory valve job so they are right and the Combustion chambers have been professionally re-shaped to fit the shape of the dome on the SRP/JE 13:1 Pistons in the 496 and then shaved and re-poured to be sure they are all back to 119 cc and a 1050 dominator carb ......on a say 750-795 horse 496 Motor, what Intake would you guys say would make the Carb and heads work to their optimum peak performance.....I want to get this sorted out so I can have the stuff I need on my back up motor so that in the case of a catastrophic failure of some sort there won't be a HUGE drop off between Motors.....though 795-800 horse is a long way from 890-900 horse and I know I am comparing Apples to Oranges but I was just wanting to know what one intake would perform or has performed the best for a similar combo..... I have a Holley Strip Dominator and a 950 Quick Fuel Carb that I can use but I would rather have the 1050 Dominator and a Intake best suited to the Brodix BB2X heads.
These heads were on my 540 last summer but were just not what I wanted for that Motor but at that time I had to get what I could afford and I got a real good deal on them.

So Engine Builders and Racers alike what say you ?

Thanks in advance,
RC

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
If you must run a dominator then the Victor 454R, which is the same manifold that should be on your 540. Otherwise the Victor Jr. for a 4150 carb, which is the same manifold I run on my 900+HP 522 that accelerates my 3144 lb. ride well into the 8's off the footbrake.

That said, no as cast manifold will be optimum without some porting and modifications and for about $600 either of these two manifolds will be much closer to optimum.

#5 ·
If you must run a dominator then the Victor 454R, which is the same manifold that should be on your 540.
Just curious as to why or what leads you to believe this statement ?

Aint a 454R's ports designed for a much smaller and different shaped intake runner than is even on the BB2x's......just curious as to what it is that makes you say this thats all ? I have seen them both and they sure seem to be a long ways from being what would work unless you want the charge coming out of each intake port compressed before it hits the corresponding intake runner ?

Don't take this the wrong way but,
Just pretend I am completley ignorant and explain what it is that makes you say that a 454R is what should be on a 540 that you don't know what Cylinder Head it has ? Really I am being serious not trying to be a smart ass at all ......I want to know if what I did over the winter was all wrong then.....hell I could have saved some coin maybe

RC

#6 · (Edited)
I know what heads you run having read your previous cam thread.

It's all about air speed, ,velocity, rate of acceleration and optimizing your performanced in the first 330'. To that end, your current intake manifold has too much plenum volume and too much runner volume for optimum on track performance in a relatively heavy door car but don't fret, most chose manifolds along with carbs, cams, headers and heads that are too big for the RPM the engine spends most of it's time in and the package it is attempting to accelerate.

This manifold needs little more than a gasket match for your heads.

FYI, my Vic jr. on my 522 BBC topped with a 4150/1000HP carb, making more power than your 540 as well turning more RPM has a plenum that measures 3 3/4" deep and to the best of my knowledge, runs quicker ET's than every similar weight car running brackets in Division 1 with a 540, 555, 565 and 572, all of which have more/bigger manifolds, heads, cams, carbs, headers as well made more power on the dyno.

#11 ·
Since I am not from y'alls neck O the woods what car in the pic you posted is yours bracket_racer (Ed i Guess ?) ??

Oh and Jeff.... Buddy you know I value your input greatly, but just between you an me that Motor... the N/A 540 in my Sig......is in my car now and has gone actually a LEEETTTLLLL MITE faster than what I posted ...... there are a lot of people I race with who troll here and never register (I found that out the hard way) so the last thing I am gonna do is brag or boast about "HEY GUESS WHAT I DID DURING THE WINTER "......reminds me too much of the famous last words you hear when some Thrill Seeker Wanna BE looks at you and then says with a smile on his face "HEY......DUDE!.....WATCH THIS !" 99.9 % of the time.......I have NEVER seen anything good come from some guy....(whos IQ Obviously does not equal that of his own shoe size)......that hollers those words. So I have learned to tell without telling if you get my meaning.

And the following few words is for the Local person I Race against who comes on here and LURKS and NOT ANY Y-B Brothers or sisters:

I found out that you read every single little thing I post and have been since the Spring of 2011....(Don't play Innocent your own Brother told me as well as several others this last weekend ...)..... anything you learn here from my posts is still not going to stop me from Beating your Punk ASS and taking your money.....Why don't you join as a member and then tell all the Yellow Bullet members how you an your buddies Bad Mouthed my car and me and then as if that wasn't bad enough you had to get personel and drag my wife an Kids into it......and then had the Balls to have your Mother come not once but 3 different times to our Pit and ask us to not RACE YOU IN THE FINALS but to instead split the winners purse... of course I said not just NO BUT A VERY POLITE "HELL NO"....well ......?......you are now only just starting to get a taste of whats to come.....and un-less I blow up Both my motors this season and the world does come to an end in December.....you better keep looking over your shoulder cause me and this .....what did you call it now let me see ....oh yeah THIS "nasty lookin old homeade piece of crap wore out Bracket Car" has beat you every round we have actually RACED for points or money... and I am gonna keep on doin it without the slightest hint of mercy or compassion for you......your days are numbered......you sure had fun last season as I was strugling to get things all dialed in goin around makin fun of us.... then you really had a hoot when you on purpose pulled out of line during time trials just so you could line up with us (KNOWING from reading on here that I was having major issues with my cam) and then when I Spanked you on the tree my R/T .007 your R/T .054 and then when I had done what I wanted to with the car shut it down right after the 1000' mark and was WAY ahead of you and coasted thru the stripe......you went an ran all over hells half acre telling everybody who would listen that you "smoked me" and "I wasn't shit"........"just more old antique junk".....I think is what you said around some people I knew who told me......well Cry Baby.....Mommas Boy I see where you are lurking here now and at about the same time everyday is the only reason I am doing this.........You Bring your "A" game and a wad of cash this weekend cause me an this old Black Piece of Antique Junk are flat gonna stomp a mud hole in your ass and then come back and stomp it dry just for the pure delight of all the people you have done this same thing too again and again and again..... you Dummy the worse thing you could have done was to start up with me.......I have taken Dumps that caused me more pain than you ever will.....oh and just in case if I were you I would watch what you say about my Kids and Wife....anymore of that and we are gonna have a serious problem....leave them out of it......say what you want about me an the car we will do our blabbing and running off at the Mouth ON THE RACE TRACK !.....and BEAT YOU THE OLD FASHIONED ANTIQUE WAY.......ON THE TREE AND AT THE STRIPE !

You know that I know who you are so now why don't you go RUN TELL DAT ! or was that too much for your Nitrous pumping Behind.....or are you gonna go cry to daddy and have him buy you another Bigger N20 Motor than what you already have ? I have often wondered how you paid for all you have on the money that you make taking out the trash and sweeping the floor at your Cousins Gas-n-Shop. You must have saved all your life to buy that car and Stacker Trailer and Toter home Huh ?

Sorry for the rant to all Y-B members but this had to be done.
RC

RC

#13 ·
Yeah, there is a lot of that hear, if you think all mine will run is a 9.70 @138 that run was with a 1.49 60' time. lol Glad to see you understand the Players in the game. I will leave it at that. I will say if you see our BBC tunnel ram in the last few pages of the intake thread Foxwell did a very nice job and gave us just what we ask for, we will be testing in a couple of weeks with the SeeRed car

#14 · (Edited)
pigley
runs very good and within a tenth of mine most days. It's nearly 250 lbs. lighter and it's engine is backed by a glide.

Oh and it's the twin to my engine, oil pan to carb
i'm lost as to the point of this statement..... is it how great your engine runs or how bad the copy ran! being 250# lighter but only runs within a tenth of yours? i thought you slowed his and your cars down so how does one make that statement, of it being within a tenth? just open the restrictor some? or is this all about how your engine combo really doesn't work all that well, it's the 60k chassis it's in? can't follow here pig....

#16 ·
No seriously...Not being a smart ass, I have no idea what your name is honestly I don't follow a lot of that stuff and have no idea other than a few guys on all of Yellow Bullet who is who.... and I was just wondering if yours was the Nova or the Bird .....and I was gonna compliment you on the Nova and how clean it looked "IF" that was your car is all but since the Firebird is yours then right ? you can tell the owner of the Nova that I like his clean looking car.....and the firechicken......well we will just let that statement speak for itself.......NAW LOL only kidding it's a nice car too just bustin your balls.....and my name is Randy but only a few people call me that.....most call me Gunny or Sarge or Son of a Bitch because I EARNED all those names and a few call me Silky an even a few call me Soak and there are several names I can't post on here but you doesn't have to call me Johnson now does you.
Well you (if you can or want to) will have to PM me the size of the Holes in the plate your using or do you use a RPS that comes with multiple changeable plates I would like some place to start and then just make 3 or 4 of my own to use in different situations .....I really can not use the changeable plate thing without some major modifications to other things that have been done over the winter (I am sure you can read between the lines here) but installing a restrictor plate where a Plate already exists is no big deal.

RC

#19 · (Edited)
No problem.

I thought maybe you were using one like advertises on here that quick in the lanes Changeable Restrictor Plate system that has the 1" plate you slide them in and out of. And then I remembered you run a 4150/1000cfm carb so your sizes wouldnt help me really anyway.

and for the record in that first post there is a place that says "These heads were on my 540 last summer" meaning they are not there now......or are they ??????? lolol

RC

#21 ·
randy, I'm not interested in playing games

Thats perfect then cause I like I said don't follow that stuff or play either.....I like to have a Good Time cause we Race as a Family but I take my Drag Racing very serious.

I will leave all that other BS to the Guys who live for that stuff and are good at it.....I could care less how many screen names or other Forums and places like that you belong too (I can use the search feature as well) so as long as your straight up with me I will be the same with you and thats how that dawg hunts.

Thank you for your opinion on the 454R .
RC

#22 ·
Ironhorse, the best intake might be Snipper Jr or the 2907 Vic. But it would be nice to know the crossection of the heads and few other things. Both should work well. I believe we race in the same neck of the woods PBIR?
What intake do you have now and what have you ran before? 454r is not a bad intake. The snipper Jr needs alot less work over-all. What RPM is peak?

#26 ·
Ironhorse, the best intake might be Snipper Jr or the 2907 Vic. But it would be nice to know the crossection of the heads and few other things. Both should work well. I believe we race in the same neck of the woods PBIR?
What intake do you have now and what have you ran before? 454r is not a bad intake. The snipper Jr needs alot less work over-all. What RPM is peak?
The 496 is on the floor of our shop and the 540 is in the car and is perfect the way it is now.

I was wanting Ideas for the best match up for a Plain jane 1050 Dominator I have sitting on the shelf that I want to go on our 496 that I would use as a back up motor that now has a set of BB2X heads that I had run on my 540 last summer when we first built it, but it became painfully clear when having cam Issues last summer that they were just not big enough for what we had done with or wanted with this New 540, so during the winter we made the right adjustments and up-grades we needed to (Also a set of Brodix heads but way different than the BB2x's) plus a few other things but that is not what this post was about at all.

So I am Up-grading the 496 back up motor we have to a slightly better back up is all.

I guess for some people that was just too hard to understand ? I really could care less cause all his posts now just show up as ;

:This message is hidden because -------_----- is on your ignore list

I can PM you any info you might need but the BB2X's are pretty much as is right out of the plastic wrap so to speak. I would be happy to provide you with any other 496 info you may want just let me know and thank you.

RC

#40 ·
Jeff c (I am getting to know too many Jeffs here LOL) Yeah I already had a Holley Strip Dominator with a 950 Quick fuel on the 496 jeff and it too has been untouched except for a gasket match and Like I posted to the other Jeff Mck I am gonna try that with a 1" composite spacer and a RM reversion plate and then run it to the dyno if I can get some time ....it's been really busy here since they installed it and they have a waiting list already but I know the owner and may be able to get in after hours .....maybe lol we will see....I am hoping to see what the 496 might have to do if I need it (God Forbid I do .....but at least this way I have a Plan B so to speak)

I do have to ask you one Question though.....

When are you gonna Paint your Car man.....lol.....only kidding,

some time we will have to compare photos ...... I have a whole slew of pictures of what all we did to the Body and stuff like the new Lift off front Glass clip and all the Pro Glass and other fiberglass....buddy it was a short winter for us and am glad it wasn't a nasty cold one other wise we would still be trying to get stuff painted yet.

Thanks for all your Input you seem like another straight up good guy !
Randy.

#32 · (Edited)
this guy don't build engines cause he'd have to take a huge paycut and it's a dead business for the local builder but this guy specs engines, cams and converters for friends and competitors all of which now run quicker and faster than similar combos in similar weight cars including his own combo which out runs every n/a 540, 555, 565 and 572 in similar back halved and weight cars competing in division 1 brackets, all with bigger heads, bigger cams, bigger headers, bigger carbs and bigger manifolds as well it will out run the op's car.;)

#33 · (Edited)
you buddy's nova is 250# lighter, that can't run with your car and you spec'ed the engine.. i would be pissed off.... that nova should be running 8.5's 250# lighter to you avg 8.77.... pig you can fool your groupie's at you local hick track but your fooling nobody here or the other 12 forum you been thrown off...

#35 ·
FYI, 1. my car is a state of the art 4 link super stocker, the nova is not and it's a ladder bar. 2. my car has more gear 3. my car has radial slicks
wow pig you final came clean... let see here.. you said i was full of shit when i said the radial slick is worth e.t..... you said i was full of shit when i said you 60K chassis was worth e.t. you said i was full of shit when i said you shit is geared to lay down 60ft to 330.... thanks pig for telling me i'm right after all... lmfao.... YOU ENGINE COMBO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT RUNNING WHAT IT DOES... ANY 900HP ENGINE WOULD RUN THE SAME.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.