Yellow Bullet Forums banner

All Motor Rules for 2010?????

20K views 247 replies 52 participants last post by  Dr. Detroit 
#1 ·
Anything gonna change??????

#53 ·
Does anyone know what an "L60" tire equates to, based on their "rules"??

#58 ·
....otherwise the car will just be for grudge racing I suppose.............:confused:

#63 ·
I shared the same sentiment as you for many many years.... seeing too many cars destroyed in the last few years has forced me to change my thoughts on it... yes, it's not difficult to say that it's driver error when something bad does happen, but the bottom line is that we are not perfect, and do not always think clearly in these situations..... and we need to admitt that we just won't always make the right decision..

And this is suppose to be a hobby.... our life or death should not be resultant on whether we make a good or bad decision, in a hobby... I mean, what are we trying to do here folks? It's just a dumb car...

That's why I've change my thoughts on this.

#64 ·
I shared the same sentiment as you for many many years.... seeing too many cars destroyed in the last few years has forced me to change my thoughts on it... yes, it's not difficult to say that it's driver error when something bad does happen, but the bottom line is that we are not perfect, and do not always think clearly in these situations..... and we need to admitt that we just won't always make the right decision..

And this is suppose to be a hobby.... our life or death should not be resultant on whether we make a good or bad decision, in a hobby...

That's why I've change my thoughts on this.
That's why a black box is better than a button, you make the decision when you set the trigger height, during a pass the driver is not part of the decision, the front end comes up too far and the retard gets triggered automatically

#68 ·
Personal Opinion: Wheelie Bars should NOT be added to a class simply for safety reasons or to minimize damage to the cars from landing. There are enough alternatives available to keep that nose down without bars out the back. Wheelie bars are a PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT. (again said:
gryphon68,

You have good input into the class and good suggestions. I for one am not for Active Traction Control, or even electronic "Automatice" wheelie control. If you want a button on your wheel then you get to decide when it retards, no problem with that at all, actually a good idea. I have nothing against bars on or off a car. If you choose to run a class with no bars so be it. If you choose a class with bars so be it. I don't have a preferance either way, but if the rules let me I run them. After building my car this year, I was and am low on funds and I could not risk busting up the car (guess that plan did not work out like I had hoped).

I would wait to offer more input on the wheelie bar rule until it is your car 8 feet in the air, smashing up your 1200.00 headers, 600.00 oil pan, 500.00 in rims, sturts etc.... Again, I will run my bars if the class allows and remove them if I want to run the class.

I love watching the all motor class, I just hope the rules keep the drivers safe and keeps the racing close.

#72 ·
Tim, sorry to hear about your tangle with the wall. Glad you are OK.

Not sure I understand the resistance to an electronic safety aid that might also save you several thousand dollars in damage. I'm not saying to make them mandatory, I'm just saying it's a valid alternative for people who would like to minimize wheelies or at least have a safety if the car comes up on one pass in a hundred.

Anti-Wheelie electronics is not the same thing as Traction Control, that $4K+ Davis unit won't do a damn thing to keep the front end of your car down.

I have no issue in running bars in classes were they are allowed. Even in a class where they are not allowed it's nice to have for testing. But in classed were they are not allowed, it's nice to have something that can protect you and your car.

#76 ·
Tim, sorry to hear about your tangle with the wall. Glad you are OK.

Not sure I understand the resistance to an electronic safety aid that might also save you several thousand dollars in damage. I'm not saying to make them mandatory, I'm just saying it's a valid alternative for people who would like to minimize wheelies or at least have a safety if the car comes up on one pass in a hundred.

Anti-Wheelie electronics is not the same thing as Traction Control, that $4K+ Davis unit won't do a damn thing to keep the front end of your car down.

I have no issue in running bars in classes were they are allowed. Even in a class where they are not allowed it's nice to have for testing. But in classed were they are not allowed, it's nice to have something that can protect you and your car.
I understand you simplified the concept of this ASD (Anti-Superman Device) :p, but it would need to be very complex and may not ever work.

You couldnt use a simple mercury switch set to ground at a certian angle. Because....as soon as the car went south of that angle, you would go full timing again, similar to wacking the throttle and the car would just go back up. Same thing would happen even if you had another switch to reactivate time once the car is all the way on the ground. Suspension reaction added with pouring the timing back in would stand the car up again. Probably end up sounding like a bracket racer at the stripe, only on two rear wheels.

Good concept, but I think if it were to ever work, there would need to be multiple perameters, that would require some type of computer and interface. Which in turn would drive the price way up, just like the traction devices.

#73 ·
So if you are not allowed wheelie bars why would they allow an electronic devise that is active and makes the decision when you are going to high. I don't understand.

#75 ·
Wheelie bars are not fail safe, you will blow the tires off if you hit them that hard.

#77 ·
Agreed that wheelie bars may provide a performance advantage, but if everyone is allowed to run them, its just a mean shift.

I believe the small block have to most to gain with bars. Chances are, with bars, they can leave on a full nut sack. Mag, Butch, Lance will definately pick up with bars, IMO. The bigger inch boyz however, still wont be able to leave under full power, or they blow the tires. Sure, everyone blows the tires from time to time, but the bigger motors stand a bigger chance......on a small tire.

Wheelie bars would definately change the game.....

#83 ·
Electronic devices are just that, devices. They still have to be programmed, set, adjusted etc. They are electronic and prone to fail in a harsh environment such as wheelies, landings, etc. And if you set/adjust them incorrectly, guess what? They still will wheelie and produce the same resulting chaos (plus the cost of the wheelie device that was incorrectly adjusted causing the damage). Wheelie bars, they are mechanical, bolt on and if incorrectly adjusted will either wheelie too high, or unload the rear tires and spin. Both with no damage to the vehicle or injury to driver or others. I was at the Dutch Classic this weekend and witnessed a lot of wheelies from stock eliminator, super stock eliminator (love those SS/AH cars!) and comp eliminator with wheelie bars. No one aborted a run, no one tore anything up, and some won their respective round while others unloaded their rear tires or bounced too much on landing and lost their round.

#84 ·
Mayhem asked:

Speaking of headers like yours (which I think are way cool by the way), did you see any performance drop or gain when you changed?

Car has made it's best runs with them.:smt102

Theorically, they should see "some" resistance exiting out the side (especially top end) with the wind running at them at 90* angle.

I suppose I have lost some "thrust", but maybe that has been more than offset by the hot boundary air (light) keeping the heavy air from attaching to the body.:smt017

Also, any concern on cold nights, when you click it off......cold air possibly being forced back through? Do you egt's? Have you measured the temp drop? Before and after?

Not really, you love to have cold air rushing into a cylinder from the intake side, what would cold air rushing into a cylinder from the exhaust side do in an non running engine? No, No, & No.:smt020

#85 ·
Any chance we could get a weight break for cars that are 1975 and older.

Some of the old iron just can compete in the aero department like the newer stuff.

25 / 50lbs?

What are the thoughts on this?

#88 ·
I don't have enough motor so I am making sure I get every bit of weight break as I can. :)
Because your VEGA just weights so much right?? LOL :p

What does a 2 door VEGA coupe weigh anyway?? 57lbs? :)

#90 ·
hahaahaha...yeah maybe with a driver with a stomach full of Buffalo Wild Wings............ :)

#92 ·
...........you Bastard!!!!! LOL
But for what it's worth.........it's nice to see a light weight BowTie product out there competing with all the cookie-cutters! (we all know what they are!)

#96 ·
f-bodys are just like asshole right everyone has one ....i think stock susp. and powerglides should get 100lb weight break look at orsca rules wheelie bars should be 50lb weight add

#97 ·
O my god 7 months to go and already , Jay just go kick some all motor ass !!!!

#99 ·
mike i see you still lurking whats up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.