Yellow Bullet Forums banner

ls 5.3 max bore

33K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Nitroused383 
#1 ·
I'm new to this hole ls thing but i came across a real cheap 5.3 that needs a rebuild but i always heard you can't do much more than a good hone on them. I'm not sure what all need to be done to it yet if its no good when i get it apart i can just use the block for mock-up. But my question is how far can you bore them?

#10 ·
depends on if it's an iron block or aluminum block. assuming it's an iron block, i'd absolutely get it sonic checked and go to a 3.903" bore to build an iron 5.7 if you have to bore it. if an aluminum block, then your assumption of doing just a heavy hone is about correct as there's not much material there.

#11 ·
I'm with Erik. I haven't seen a 5.3 block that was remotely questionable for a 3.903" or 3.905" bore. I've been saying this stuff over and over for a few years now........................................I just wait for Pro Stock John to come along and argue about it.

#12 ·
I've got one sitting here that I was planning to take out to at least the stock 3.898, probably more like the 3.905 like most do. However, I've been wanting to see someone take one out to 4" on a moderate build and see how it holds up but I haven't seen anyone do so as of yet. I'd love to do it myself but my budget is a bit tighter than most of the folks on here.:-damnit

#14 ·
Because I want to see what I can do with the LM7 I have. I already know what I can do with an LQ4/9 but I already have the 5.3 so why not use it. Why don't you ask GM why they aren't still using the gen 1 sbc for everything since they already knew what it was capable of...since that question is as relevant.

#15 · (Edited)
Way to respond by being a dick.

So because you already have this block you are going to go through the trouble of sonic checking it, boring it, and hope it works. Hmm. Seems easier to just get a 6.0 block. Do what you want though.

#16 ·
Hey bud, you're the fucktard that answered a question with a question. I asked whether anyone has actually gone through with a 4" bore and posted up personal experiences with regards to longevity. I want to know what average wall thicknesses people have seen. Besides, it's fun to learn what you can and can't do with things. However, for those of us who have a limited budget, it is easier to ask questions of those that have before attempting. Get off your high horse. If you can't offer any more assistance for the topic at hand besides "get a 6.0L block", don't bother posting. Try and contribute to the thread at hand before throwing out names.

#18 ·
Hey bud, you're the fucktard that answered a question with a question. I asked whether anyone has actually gone through with a 4" bore and posted up personal experiences with regards to longevity. I want to know what average wall thicknesses people have seen. Besides, it's fun to learn what you can and can't do with things. However, for those of us who have a limited budget, it is easier to ask questions of those that have before attempting. Get off your high horse. If you can't offer any more assistance for the topic at hand besides "get a 6.0L block", don't bother posting. Try and contribute to the thread at hand before throwing out names.
:rolleyes:

How does paying someone to sonic check and bore come out cheaper than just getting a 6.0 block to begin with? If you want to do it just to say you did it, fine. But I can't see how it will be "budget". I thought I asked a legitimate question and you come at me with your attitude. I call you on it and you get even more bent out of shape. I'm glad you are here to keep me entertained while I'm working a night shift. :smt082

#24 ·
Blow me dickhead. I asked a very simple fucking question. That being what was the average cylinder wall thickness folks have seen with the LM7 platform. I didn't ask about anything else. If I wanted a stock 4" bore, I'd buy a god damn different block. I've heard of multiple castings, some early ones with the ability to go 4.00x, and am curious what others have seen. Billy mentioned that he hadn't seen a 5.3 "remotely questionable" for the 5.7 bore, so I would like to know what he was normally seeing at that point. Jon's post was of no help, had nothing to do with my question, and wasted space in this thread, much like yours. I can sonic check 10 blocks and get 10 different answers, hence the reason to ask others what they have seen. Considering the fact that they have seen far more than I, I can base whether it would even be worth the hassle or just throw a 4" stroke in it with a good hone. Thanks for the expert advice though, now go back to pushing Jon's shit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.