Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Build or Buy 565/572 BBC?

14K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  SS_Sean 
#1 ·
Looking into pricing on a 565 or 572 BBC.... Trying to figure out if I should buy an off the shelf engine from reputable builder Steve Schmidt, Sunset Racecraft, etc.. or if building it would save me a significant amount of coin?

It would have to be N/A, make 960hp-1000hp, basically a solid SC/SG bracket motor that could stand 150-200 passes without worrying too much about it. I would be putting it in a car that would weight no more than 2300lbs with driver.

I see the online deals and they seem priced well compared to when I put together a price list for a build. Is 13-15K way too much for the type of motor I'm looking for? What are your thoughts YB?

#3 ·
You MIGHT be able to buy the Parts for 13-15K>But,IF you want top of the Line stuff,better get some more change together!
I went with Dart Block,Callies Crank & Rods,J&E Pistons,Custom Valve-Train,All Jesel,New Profilers,Jesel Belt,MSD Frt.Drive,Williams Oil pan & V/Covers,and the List goes on,..........But you can see it Top Quality parts!
I did all the Assembly,and 15K wont cover my stuff!
But theres always EAGLE,....?
Later
G :)

#4 ·
When I was looking around I found those less than 15 grand motors didn't have any decent parts on them. You want 1000 REAL HP and low maintenance you need some decent parts to work with. The labor to machine and assemble a motor is going to be the same basically no matter who does it so parts are what you pay for. You want a steel pan and cast oil pump, timing chain, rocker arms and stud girdles, a distributor ignition and collector vacuum system you get it for cheap. Like G String I bought all my parts from a local builder who's my friend who gave me better prices than I could ever get and he made a couple bucks but my parts were about 17 grand for a real 1025 HP 565 that runs numbers to support the dyno sheets.

#10 ·
I have a 235" swing arm Trick Chassis dragster PG transmission 1.8 first with a 4:11 rear gear, 33.5x16.5x16. It has a 584 Steve Schmidt engine that makes 1100hp @7600 and 845tq@ 6200. My converter that i currently have goes to 4560rpm on the wood. It's safe to say its a "little" off. What company do you recommend? Should a proper converter go to 6200 on the brake? or should it go to 5800 and flash to 6200?

The car went

60 1.13

330 3.185

660 4.90 @ 143

Thanks

Have you picked it up any?

#13 ·
If I were going to buy an engine it would be from reher or suncoast. If you are wanting to build one . Find someone that is a PBM dealer an work a deal with them. I would say you could do a 565 Intake to pan(profiler heads an intake) for less then 10000 not counting machine work.

#15 ·
I picked up a PBM merlin III block, eagle rotating assembly and pistons of my choice, plus bearings for $3000. I did the whole thing for under $10k. (including machine work and assembly, but minus the carb.) Mine is no 1100hp motor, but I think you could get to your goal by going that route...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.