Yellow Bullet Forums banner

4l60E binding in 1st gear question.

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Jp outlaw 
#1 ·
I have a 4l60E that is what I would describe as binding in 1st gear, manual low or drive range.
What I mean by binding is it takes excessive pedal to move forward and the rear tires will actually lock up/slide when letting off the pedal.
As soon as it shifts to 2nd, it will immediately unbind, feels like a rubber band snapping..
reverse, 2nd, 3rd, and OD is all good.
Band clearance is within specifications.
Any ideas on this one?

Thanks

#2 ·
What is the history on this trans? Did this problem just appear one day?

Recent repair work ? A Rebuild? A trans from a wrecking yard?

Could be a problem of a cross leak that is feeding the wrong clutch pack

#3 ·
Do you have the hd2 kit installed? If so your trans might be in a limp mode condition from a code stored in the computer or you do not have power at the trans. With the gear command function in manual low, when a limp mode condition is present, (3rd gear applied) you will have the same issue like you described. Hope this helps. Vince Bielanski

#5 ·
Something else I remembered about the symptoms. It seemed to start in second if in D or OD.
It was hard to tell a difference between starting in second, or binding up in first when in D or OD due to the high stall. But if in D or OD, the rear tires would not lock up like they would if in manual first.
I didn't noticed the binding in first until I placed in manual low while attempting to diagnose what was going on and would have the brakes on effect, (would slide rear tires when let off the accelerator)

It did not seem to be ECU related since the issue resolved with a different trans..

Have I made this clear as mud..lol

#4 ·
Here is the deal with the trans. This transmission was built about 4 years ago and sold through a well known vendor in the LS1 world. I prefer not to mention any business names, as this situation was several years ago, and it was made right as best as could be. The reason I am asking the question now, is for personal knowledge about what could have caused the issue.
The trans was purchased as a level 4 build for a 500+ HP capacity. With vacuum modulation, but retained auto shifts.
The first one received seemed to be perfect for about 10 -20 miles, then started the binding like issue. The builder sent new 2/3, 3/4 servo components and shorter servo pin, he felt it was a band apply issue. Parts was changed out with no effect, trans continued to bind. No codes set by PCM. Trans was removed and shipped back.
2nd trans received and installed. This time, the binding was there immediately.
Pulled trans, shipped back and requested a full refund plus my core returned, which had been already shipped to the builder after the first trans.
Received a core trans back. I rebuilt the core trans myself and it was almost perfect, had slow 2/3 shift, but other wise was perfect. No change in tuning or no codes cleared etc.. I ran this trans for about 3 years before changing to a th350.

So as I stated above, I am just looking to learn what may have caused the symptoms for future knowledge in case I run into a similar situation again..

Thanks again

#8 ·
earlier transmissions had cross leak issues at case and valvebody by manual valve ,no bolts in that area.also earlier low reverse pistons had bleed of issues and were updated or drilled the original. Most times when you take trans apart you can see were it is failing if you know what to look for and know how it works.

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply. This was a LS1 type transmission(removable bell, 300mm input shaft), does this qualify as an early model?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.