Yellow Bullet Forums banner

how much boost can a stock sbc take?

98K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Mattsv8_03 
#1 ·
have a stock 350 chevy i put in my truck my other motor went way south.I have 2 small turbos blow thru set what is safe boost and timing on 93 octane.

#5 ·
I have really had some shitty luck with my motors!My last motor I found out why you shouldnt use keith black pistons. I had one come apart take out the cylinder big hole and i thought i was consevitive at 12psi. I need to buy a good block for my next build .Just put this in so i have somting to drive.

#8 ·
It not really how much boost but, how much hp and Tq.
Depends 750-850 hp but it depends on the prep, parts, fuel, etc..........
It is always a good idea to upgrade to Dart block. How far do you trust a $50.00 junkyard block.

#9 ·
my 010 block no fill. splayed caps. .030 over. i run 15 lbs with a 88mm. and run 8.90s at 150 in a 3500lbs s10 long bed street truck.

#10 ·
im looking to turn it up some. maybe 18 to 20 lbs.
it goes 10.3 at 124 on 9lbs, and 8.90s 9.000 on 15.
hope to go 8.50s - 60s with 20

#11 ·
in my many beatings of SBC chevys in my life I have shoved 400hp shots of nitrous and turned them 7000 +rpm I have also shoved huge heads and camshafts into stock short blocks and turned them rediculous rpm. The only thin I haven't done it turbocharger a stock SBC.

that siad. the blocks would give up the ghost around 700-800hp.

#12 ·
ok didnt really explain what im doing im talking totally bone stock 350 its a jasper crate motor i bought on craigslist i fliped it over checked acouple of bearings and went with it. Runs great .Do you think this would survive with 3 to 5 lbs of boost? i have my timing locked out at 36 degrees and taking a degree out per lb of boost

#16 ·
depend on the heads. If it is iron headed I'd take 1.75 degree per pound or maybe 2 per psi. that siad I have seen stock SBC engines take 15 psi without to much complaint. I have not personally done this. So your results may vary.

#13 ·
yes all day long. but watch the cast pistons.

#18 ·
I was thinking about my post, I may have an answer to your original question LOL.

I WAS WRONG IN MY ORIGINAL POST ( i think i screwed the pooch on dyno not at the track)

After thinking about my post MAYBE that 22 lbs of boost did hurt it. 5 passes later my oil was silver in color and loses 38 pounds of oil pressure once it gets hot. That dyno session was the only time it saw 22 pounds of boost was on that dyno run. It only got to 550 in HP this motor was shit from day one

#19 ·
my friend if you need 22lbs to make 550. u need a larger turbo very bad. thats insane boost for a v8 to only make 550.
the heat alone had to be killing it.

#22 ·
Well I have an s480 w 96 mm wheel and 132 ar. This motor upon arrival was NOTHING it was supposed to be. I am sure the motor and cam, and heads were the reason this thing wasnt working. I am not even trying to fix it. I am starting over.

#24 ·
It was a custom ground lunati cam solid roller (when I got the motor is saw what they had and threw it out) LOL. Also when I got on trans brake it too 9 to 11 seconds to get 7 pounds boost. hellI even put accel gen 7 on it, and had ti to 2 different tuners.

This thing was a disaster

#27 ·
i would say. good luck with the build will deff run better this time arround.

#29 ·
OK guys, can you answer this: my Brother has spun #8 rod bearing on 2 sbc's. 5lbs boost fromWeiand blower street driven. The 290 hp crate motor was T&T 15-20 passes and maybe 1500 miles. The 305 lasted about 200 miles, never made it to the strip.

#31 ·
i know mines been going low 9s for 2 yrs straight and only changing oil. chevys fn suck. stock block with splayed caps no block fill and no exotic parts. hmm
I like chevy

#33 ·
wont be too hard. the 76 will be a little hard to do just cause they build some real heat when pushed that hard. but deff possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.