Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Summit SUM-1105

18K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  lun40119 
#1 ·
Was just wondering if anybodies used this cam before, and how good it is? But my main question is, Is it lopey at idle?? Heres the info on it:

Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 2,400-6,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 234
Duration at 050 inch Lift 224 int./234 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 282
Advertised Exhaust Duration 292
Advertised Duration 282 int./292 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.465 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.488 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.465 int./0.488 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees) 114

#2 ·
The old Crane Blazer with that spec runs good. There are much better grinds out from Crane (Crane's Saturday Night Special, for starters) though

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
All my customers love the power and sound it produces....of course we know there are better options for more power/better sound, but it gets the job done for what alot of them are doing with the car. I have been in a few of the local boys cars with this cam in it and they sound great and pack a good punch for a mild street engine.

#13 ·
The cam card shows duration is 235 and 240 with a lift of .500 and .510 But the website says its a .488 and .500 lift. Would the cam card be showing lift using 1.6 ratio rockers? I'm using 1.5. The part number of the cam is 112601-s. This is going in a .060 over 327 with dome pistons and steel crank with the camel hump heads.

#17 ·
Everyone I know of who used that cam, liked it. They need more compression compared to a tighter lobe center newer modern grind. You want a good grind? Go with this Saturday Night Special below,,,

Part #110591
284/290 @.004" tappet lift
228/234 @.050" tappet lift
139/144 @.200" tappet lift
.480"/.494" lift
106° lobe separation

#19 ·
The bottom line is "It works", the solid lifer lobes for example may be old but still out power newer lobes, when I say out power I mean faster ET.

I'm not gonna get into your pi$$ing match, because you don't like Crane, and I respect you for actually helping people on the forums instead of pushing yours only. We can simply agree to disagree, I have used a ton of different lobes from Crane, they have lobes as modern as Comp's new stuff, but they don't push the really fast lobes to consumers, but they are there

#28 ·
the old .465 .488 grind is an old school cam but will make a nice little street car bump at idle while giving you enough vac to help the brakes. if its free, who cares what another cam will do (unless they plan on sending you one for the same price)

#30 ·
Mike I own a machine shop by Aztec, NM. Aztec Speedway is the largest IMCA track in the state, I have engines in several classes that hold track records. These guy's are competative in state points, regional points, and national points. I have sold cams to most of the guys out here and to my knowlege the only Jones Racing Cams came in several AMS built engines that wanted more power, so they had me re-cam them and said they had more power everywhere in the rpm range. The only people that I have talked to that have even used your cams is Gary & Rex Higgins, I sell cams to Rex and I have for Gary too.

Jake glad to see that your still concerned enough to think of me. LMAO! The CT season is getting ready to kick off here in a couple of weeks.

#36 ·
Jake the track (Our local track) is pure garbage, Ask any local racer. There is a thread on it right now, as the track closed down due to a lease issue. Its in TOBT section. A BUNCH of people on this site, know getting down our local track is hit or miss. Yes it did spin or you pedaled it due to it spinning. Why? Why risk your damn car on a cold track? You would be damn lucky to launch at Capitol like your Drag Week pics. A good example is the tires I put on the Camaro were 3074 Mickey Thompson's, and the engine shown 530hp, which should be able to go down the track on an 8" tire, but there were times at Capitol where the car spun (Grant it, not many, but it did), at Mason Dixon and Maryland International Raceway the car NEVER SPUN, dead hooked every pass. At Capitol we had to run the shocks 3 settings looser than Maryland International Raceway

#37 · (Edited)
I didn't lift on that pass........that was the engine bouncing off the pill........:p

Why don't you do your head test on a good track. You will get better data. What good will the engine data be, if you are busy chasing your ass around on a garbage track. Just sayin. Way too many variables for this to work......especially on a marginal track!!!

Which magazine is covering your head test?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.