Yellow Bullet Forums banner

instant center in a mustang??

18K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  yardbird 
#1 ·
With the stock arms or replacement ones in the stock loc. WHere is the instant center in a mustang. Just asking because i am helping someone and we want to know where it is so we can make a decision as to where we might want to move it to. OR is it good in the stock spot and we should just concentrate on shock tuning? The car is '87 mustang

#2 ·
If you're talking about a stock Fox body, there isn't one. Lines drawn through the center of the upper and lower control arms will never intersect. They keep getting further apart. There are some cars out there that work well like that. But, most would benefit from a geometry change. Just my humble opinion.

#3 ·
With the stock arms or replacement ones in the stock loc. WHere is the instant center in a mustang. Just asking because i am helping someone and we want to know where it is so we can make a decision as to where we might want to move it to. OR is it good in the stock spot and we should just concentrate on shock tuning? The car is '87 mustang
It depends what the ride height is............odds are its around the front wheel area somewhere..

#5 ·
Stick/automatic? 11 sec? 9 sec?

Most local guys running stock locations, but are all stick cars leaving hi rpm. Using air bags to keep the rear from squatting too much. Most in mid/hi 1.4 60ft. on good track. Leave sway bar on back also to keep level. Hurts to remove it unlike the front one.

I'd leave the lower arm level and adjust the upper one at front mount. There are torque boxes available to give you 3 options for front mount. If you are leaving hard enough the stock boxes will be pulled apart anyway, so might as well upgrade now.

#7 ·
Tony, it depends on way too many variables like ride height, and tire size both front and rear. I agree with Richie, moving the lower bar down like what a SSM bar does is a good quick fix for a "slower" car...No doubt they work well but that really high/short instant center gets to be too much when you start adding lots of power. I'm a big fan of treating the factory triangular 4 link just like a parallel 4 link, with the lower bar as flat as possible and the upper on a downward angle. If your car is low, you can usually get the geometry pretty good with factory mounting points. If you can't get it low enough, Baseline Suspension as well as I think Team Z make brackets and uppers that raise the back part of the upper control arm.

#8 ·
Rich.......we need to talk ?? You know i like lots of bite (wheelies LOL) My own instant center is down and i run loose shocks

Joe....why are you saying the car has lots of power?? LOL Just kicking it around. I see so many of these cars out there and i know that my instant center is fixed (ladder bar) BUT i have it as far down as it goes (Bar is in the bottom hole and its 2* down) Just wondering aS ive seen some pics (punisher) that had adj for the lowers and uppers. I understand these cars are short wheelbase and can be light, Just trying to figure something out,

Thanks for the replys, at least i see im going in the right direction.

#9 ·
shoot me a call .. i can steer you in the right direction

#11 ·
Hey tony i built that 8.50 275/60/15 fox body , got wolf dbl adjustable uppers , urp lowers , cut coil springs , strange single adjustable shocks, wolf anit roll
60' 1.30 all day . will go 1.23 if we turn it up . ya know just a 8.50 car ;););)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.