Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Mixing methanol & nitromethane

43K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Uncle Paul 
#1 ·
Has anybody had any success mixing methanol and nitromethane at small percentages??(i.e. 90%methanol 10%nitro)What kind of power increases did you find?? any problems with heat.?

Bryan

#2 ·
It can be "very" successful. Of couse there will be "problems with heat". Horsepower is a function of heat, the bigger the bang in the combustion chamber, the more heat is generated. When you play with nitromethane, remember, it's a slow burning fuel and you will need to dial-in more lead on the ignition. It is a different animal than running straight alky.

#6 ·
Excellent tip. Ask me how I know.

Also as said, I don't think I would waste time, money & energy learning on less than 30%. Probably not worth the gain you would get.
50% is used by a few FED guys I've talked to. Not an expert, but I believe there is or was a big following of a 50% class.
Good luck, we want videos of you testing!!!!

#4 ·
Any idea on the correlation of % nitro to % increase in HP?? i.e would 30% nitro get me a 10% increase in power?? Also, is 30% safe, if I use less than 30% will I not see any real increase in power??
Thanks for the input,

Bryan

#7 ·
If you are going to use 30 plus percent of nitro, you better have a really good ignition and bottom end. The deal with nitro is detonation. If it starts to detonate, it is not controllable. It will actually produce a high order detonation. You want to start small. 5 % will give you enough hp to generally get 7 hundredths to a tenth in the 1/4 mile. You want to richen up approximately 15% for every 5% nitro. If you are wanting to try a fuel that will produce similar results, try the M5 methanol. You should get a tenth or so over regular methanol.

Jason

#9 ·

We were stupid & knew a rich guy with a P/M. We talked him into using nitro. After we split the block on the 1st pass, we knew how not to try it.

#10 ·
You should be able run 30% without changing any jetting at all... If you run less than 30% you would actually have to lean the motor out a bit because the weight of the Nitro is soo much more and you actually end up with more mass going in than what the engine will handle.

I ran a 383 small block chevy with a hillborn injection.. I have tried running a little bit of nitro on occation and it will definately make you go quicker.

#11 ·
Many years ago I was getting advice from the late/great Elmer Trent on how to setup a drag bike to run on methanol..

After having the bike drinking meth like it was water.. I never saw the gains I expected.. At that point Elmer told me to add 10% nitro to the mix.. He garranteed I'd get the power increase I was looking for..

Unfortunately, when I went to a local Top Fuel drag boater in the area that sold nitro.. He only sold it in 55 gal drums.. And even back in those days.. The cost of a drum of nitro just about blew me away...

#13 ·
Wow flash back, I ran DragBike for years and saw the late Elmer Trett many times.
As far as mixing nitro w/methanol, the best guy I know to talk to is Spud @ http://www.fuelinjectionenterprises.com/
Knowing Elmer is kind of showing our ages :D ..

That Spud site is the one to have if you're playing with nitro.. Very informative.. And interesting reading..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.