Yellow Bullet Forums banner

ls1, high compression plus boost?

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Shum 
#1 ·
You guys on here seam to be doing a lot of insane out of the box stuff and making crazy power so I want to get your thoughts, opinions and ideas on this.

I'm building a tube chassis 04 GTO that I plan on having weigh in at 2,500-2,700 lbs, tubbed widebody, 3 speed manual.

I need to have it run on 92-93 pump gas and handle daily driving on the street if o get the urge to take it back and forth to work on nice days.

Current setup is
fully forged 408 lq4/9 iron block
Ported/milled 241s with 57cc chambers
Ported Edelbrock proflo xt
90mm FAST tb
Comp cams 255/263 .624/.624 115 lsa cam
Running 12.5:1 scr, and 8.22:1 dcr on 92-93 pump gas, 27 degrees timing and zero knock.
just over 650 rwhp currently with fuel cut set at 8,000 rpms

I'm looking at the possiblility of boosting it and building the setup with lag in it by either using two large turbos, or a bov of some type to keep it at 0 or close boost until it is up past 4,000 plus rpm where knock is harder to have occur.

Any thoughts, ideas or opinions? What kind of power could I make and what kind of boost?

Thank you
Mark

See less See more
#3 ·
You guys on here seam to be doing a lot of insane out of the box stuff and making crazy power so I want to get your thoughts, opinions and ideas on this.

I'm building a tube chassis 04 GTO that I plan on having weigh in at 2,500-2,700 lbs, tubbed widebody, 3 speed manual.

I need to have it run on 92-93 pump gas and handle daily driving on the street if o get the urge to take it back and forth to work on nice days.

Current setup is
fully forged 408 lq4/9 iron block
Ported/milled 241s with 57cc chambers
Ported Edelbrock proflo xt
90mm FAST tb
Comp cams 255/263 .624/.624 115 lsa cam
Running 12.5:1 scr, and 8.22:1 dcr on 92-93 pump gas, 27 degrees timing and zero knock.
just over 650 rwhp currently with fuel cut set at 8,000 rpms

I'm looking at the possiblility of boosting it and building the setup with lag in it by either using two large turbos, or a bov of some type to keep it at 0 or close boost until it is up past 4,000 plus rpm where knock is harder to have occur.

Any thoughts, ideas or opinions? What kind of power could I make and what kind of boost?

Thank you
Mark
Sounds like a total bullshit post. You got a dyno graph? 3 speed manual? 650 HP at the wheels? Out of a 408 with 241s? Yeah, total bullshit.

#4 · (Edited)
Maybe he meant manual valve body? 650 to the tire with that setup is far fetched though unless its on a 150-200 shot..

FWIW we just put my old stock cube nitrous motor in my car with my turbo setup on it and it done pretty well. It's 11.5: 1 with Absolute speed stg. 2.5 heads. We used my turbo cam out of the 6.0 that was in it before we streched the stock rod journals. Here's a comparison in the 2 setups.

Stock LS2 w/l92's made 964 rwhp @ 17psi
11.5: 1 347" w/ ported 853' s made 923rwhp @ 19psi

Same tranny and converter in both setups. Glide and Edge converter that was setup for my old nitrous setup.

The LS2 setup didnt live long enough to make any passes but the 347 went 5.75@124 and 8.92@159 with a crappy 1.40 60' a few weeks ago. That was on 16psi.

FWIW I am running e85 and have an a2w setup on it too.

No issues with lifting the heads thus far... Oh, the LS2 setup only had arp head bolts too, no studs. Still never pushed a drop! GM mls gaskets ftw!

#5 ·
Is it a Liberty or Jericho transmission? He did say big tire car ed which leads me to think that it's got a g-force or liberty "manual" trans in it.

#11 ·
You never stated what your goals were?
I wouldnt think you could put much boost to a setup like that on pump gas.
It really is a guess as your setup is so missmatched. You really should consider spraying that setup untill you can afford to do a boosted setup correctly.

#13 ·
I'd pull the shitty heads and put a larger chamber head on it to get the compression back down a touch and slap a T6 91mm turbo on it with some E85. You're wasting your time with those heads and compression on pump gas with boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.