Yellow Bullet Forums banner

E85 HP Gains

22K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  66Chad 
#1 ·
Im building a motor that will be ran on the corn, ans was wondering how much HP you fellas that have switched over form gas are coming out with. I have a friend that switched from C-16 to E 85 and gained 47 WHP. Is this common or did he get lucky or is it on the low side? Just wanting to see what youguys are picking up by doing the switch.

Thanks, Josh

#5 ·
A guy I know with a single turbo 3V modular motor gained nearly 100hp and tq thru out the power band on E85 vs race (IDK which octane) running around 20-21 psi IIRC

#7 · (Edited)
Im aware of what it does and how it works. Im just curious of the average HP gain over gas is. Im hoping to make close to 900 HP on just nutts out of my SBC on it. I know the combo is capable of doing it on gas so Im hoping it will be a little easier on corn. If the combo can make 850 gas then it should be close to the 900 on E85. That is why im trying to see what to expect out of it as far as a base pickup. Im not going to go off of the guy that says he picked over 100 hp and say mine should, but if there are a hand full of guys that picked up 40-50 hp then I know what i should expect.

#13 ·
your results will vary...
you will see a hp gain in the change to E85, how much depends on a LOT of different factors.

1. who does your carb.
2. your compression.
3. your heads and the induction flow.
4. total cubic inches.
5. your ignition system.

I personally have seen lower compression (8:1) small cubic inch small blocks...pick up .00x in the 1/4. while i HAVE seen large cubic inch, 15:1 compression, chevelle pick up as much as .67 in the 1/4.

there is no cut and dry answer to the question as the results are dependant upon the base engines specs....

why dont you tell me what your engine specs are and I can tell you what iI think you should expect from a properly tuned E85 carburetor...

as for your buddy gaining 47hp...fairly normal in a turbo deal.

Mark Sullens E85 Carburetors.

#17 ·
just got word from the south west, a NHRA super street racer who ran C16 called to let me know that his car was .3mph (3/10mph) slower on E85 than it was on C16....

we discussed the O2 readings and what we could do to improve, I will be sending him new Idle bleeds, he will be tweaking it a bit, and we both think that he will pick up some ET.....

this change should make his car faster on E85 than C16....
and his fuel just went from $10 gal to $2.50 gal.

Mark Sullens

#18 ·
I switched my chevelle over from 93 to pump e85.
406sbc, 8.5 to 1, f2, large a/a intercooler, 18 degree dart heads, jay Allen cam. First dyno tune I was making to much boost 23 so I quit at 6200 Rpms 930 rwhp.

Instead of buying a new pulley I had a large capacity fuel system and sent carb. back to C&S to switch to e85. Went back to Dyno with no changes it made 1055 rwhp @ 6200. I was floored I will go back in spring when we can do some tuning and take it up to 7500

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.