Yellow Bullet Forums banner

ProMod Crash @ Super Chevy - Maple Grove

14K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  Festus 
#1 ·
The CFM Motorsports rig is at Maple Grove Raceway and Jan Gaskin just called me and said there was a horrible crash... car broke in half.. Red Camaro ProMod.. does anyone have any information on who it is?.. Just happened.

Karen Bryant
Marketing & Business Development

CFM MOTORSPORTS, LLC
301 Hamric Dr., West
Oxford, AL 36203

www.cfmmotorsports.net

#3 ·
Damn,hope he's ok!!!!

#8 ·
Yes he did.

#13 ·
Prayers sent! Were rootin for ya buddy

#15 ·
Ed and the whole crew are top notch and great people, We here at TMRC wish Ed a speedy recovery. Ed's Chassis are built from a TMRC blueprint, glad to see that the chassis was intact and he was not badly injured.. All the Best ED!

#17 ·
Any new information on how Ed is doing today? Give him my best.

#18 ·
Talked to one of team members he is still in hosp. with a fractured vertebra in lower back and blood clot around his spine.They are waiting for the severe swelling of his neck to go down before doing any ct scans or imiging. He is his same self and joking about wondering if he will make a match race next weekend.

#28 ·
Really good writeup of the incident from the NEOPM website:

http://www.neoutlawpromods.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=317

FULL TEXT -

Sunday afternoon at Maple Grove Raceway, the Northeast Outlaw Pro Mod Associations "Chevy vs. The World" session was marred in the finals by a horrendous crash on the top end by Nitrous Pro Mod driver "Ed Burnley". In his self-built 67 Nitrous Camaro he was to face Dean Marinis piloting Mike Handras' 67 Camaro. Burnley is a well-known racer and one of the most winning in this class and also the first Maple Grove Super Chevy Nitrous Champion in 2010 plus running the ADRL Pro Modified circuit and many local Doorslammer race championships.

Latest Updates:
As of late this afternoon 7/23/2012 Ed Burnley is undergoing more tests and x-rays and will probably spend more time in the Reading, PA. hospital although he is now joined by his wife "Chris" by his side. Crew member "Bobby Holtzner" stated that Burnley's son "Ed Burnley Jr." team-mate Bob Mize will be with him often as will Holtzner as his condition becomes clear. The Burnley's are from Maryland and Reading, PA. is a long way from home when a family member is in distress and life as you know it comes to a halt under circumstances as these.
Team Ed Burnley Racing would also like to thank all the emergency crews, fire personnel, track officials and EMT's. The team would also like to commend and thank Drummond Racing (Drummond Race Cars) and Nick Montana's (Montana Brothers Race Cars) teams for helping get the wreckage in the trailer as fast as possible.
As part of the Northeast Outlaw Pro Mod Association, this is a family of racers which at a drop of a hat will do as much as they can to support each other.

Photos Of Ed Burnleys Camaro Pro Mod Crash on goDragRacing.org

Burnley who was running solid 6.10's all weekend and MPH's in the 230+ range which is normal for this this team. After the burnouts, both were beginning to bring their cars into the beams; Burnley was having trouble with the reverser, not uncommon in the heat but it finally went into gear. The tree dropped and opponent Marinis dropped a -.004 on his side giving up the win to Burnley, Until the "first or worse scenario" came into play. Ed Burnley stayed in a strong pass as the car started closing in on the centerline it took a hard turn into the wall in a massive blast of parts flying with some fire able to be seen from the starting line. This move the car made into the wall came before the Finishline at around 1,100ft and well over 200MPH making Dean Marinis the eventual winner in the Nitrous Session. Supercharged / Turbocharged was cancelled as damage to the retaining walls was major. The final pairing in this class would have been Kevin McCurdy "Supercharged Camaro" vs. Steve Drummond "Twin Turbo Mustang". As the car came to a halt pushed against the wall on its roof, the emergency crews were on hand with EMT's and track officials already in emergency mode. You cannot say enough about the response time and how well they take steps to be prepared.
Ed Burnley Racing On Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ed-Burnley-Racing
Ed Burnley Racing "Official Website" Burnley And Smith Racing
http://www.edburnleyracing.com/

Dispelling The Rumors With The Facts:
Immediately after the crash, media or so called media jumped on to all kinds of social networks and began "interpreting and miss-representing the facts of what actually happened" only for gains of publicity for themselves or to incite conversations to create a talking point or hype that was nonexistent. We wish those who were not present did not miss-inform the public on such a large scale, this is a family that hears rumors and impacts their life also.

Rumor One: The Driver Walked Away (False)
Fact One: Ed Burnley did not "walk away" from this severe impact, he was "REVISED 7-23-2012" able to get out of the car before the Emergency Services arrived but did not walk away "END REVISION". Ed Burnley used only the highest quality safety devices, Hans, ISP poured Seat included plus his own chassis. Ed Burnley was awake, conscious, knew what had happened and was complaining of back pain. He was gently placed on a backboard with all precautions taken and placed in the ambulance where they began monitoring him, then to Reading's best hospital for more studies and X rays.

Rumor Two: Ed Burnley Was Cut From The Wreckage (False)
Fact Two: The car laid upside down close to 500ft from the end of the track, the responsiveness of the emergency team and EMT's on site at Maple Grove were already coming to his aid where they "REVISED 7-23-2012" aided Ed Burnley after he was able to remove himself from his car "END REVISION" making sure nor more fire was present or could flare up. Again Maple Grove practices these drills quite often and it shows they can handle anything. No cutting of this car was needed to remove Ed Burnley.

Rumor Three: The Car Was A Total Wreck (False)
Fact Three: The car that Ed Burnley built in fact was damaged heavily in the front area ahead of the mid-plate / firewall. As in any impact this hard there will be damage. Burnley built a solid race car chassis, the drivers area was almost completely intact aside from the engine's mid-plate being somewhat pushed in just less than an inch or so. All belts, harnesses, and bars were in fact in excellent shape, this car held up well considering it took out four full wall barriers at high speed. SFI chassis certs are there for a reason and they work protecting a driver.

Rumor Three: The Track Was Not Good (False)
Fact Three: Maple Grove did well with keeping the track up to par for these cars, I myself being at both ends of the track could see there were no issues with how the tracks groove was working with track temps over 110 degrees at times. It was set on dead hook and drivers needed to keep that in mind. They have the same equipment as the ADRL and times show it with almost no incidents all weekend.

Rumor Four: 1/4 Mile Racing Made This Happen (False)
Fact Four: You can't simply go on blaming 1/4 mile drag racing for accidents and saying it wouldn't have been this bad if it was 1/8th. Both are equally dangerous, these are in fact "Race Cars" with a purpose. Every driver and team knows its highlights and low lights, one being a winner, the other a possible catastrophe. Simple math will tell you that the "Rate of Acceleration" is much quicker in the 1/8th mile than the full quarter mile, thus the conclusion that mass + force may be enhanced on a shorter track. Accidents will happen just as anyone who participates in any human sport knows their career can end at any second either from injury or death.

Rumor Five: Probably The Worse Of Them All "It Was Ed Burnley's Fault" (False)
Fact Five: Anyone who puts themselves in a race car knows that each pass is going to tell them something with data or just knowing they can "up their best ET or MPH". Yes Burnley could have strolled to the winners circle after his opponent red-lighted. Burnley may have made a decision to get a full pass in just because the tenacity of racers it's almost nonexistent to lie down on a pass. They are competitors pure and simple. Ed Burnley decided within four seconds he was going to keep it at speed and it was a decision we all respect or we would have no drivers out there willing to make passes in front of crowds, in the end it didn't fare well on the side of caution.

#31 ·
Thank you all for the kind words. I talked to his wife this morning and he had another MRI yesterday and it revealed that he has a broken bone in his lower back that will require surgery. The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

I'm trying to keep everyone updated as I know a lot of friends and fellow racers are curious and concerned. I will try to post updates on the Ed Burnley Racing page on Facebook as well as my own Facebook page.

I really need to thank all of the crew at Maple Grove Raceway, the EMT's and all of the safety personnel for their quick response to the incident. We are all extremely greatful for this and we could never thank you enough.

Lastly, I need to thank all of the crews of the other race teams for helping us get the back to the trailer and getting it actually in the trailer. I don't know many of your names but Steve Drummond and all of his team and the Montana Brothers team. I really appreciated all of your assistance and I wouldn't have been able do it without your help.

Thank you everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.