Yellow Bullet Forums banner

A/M Rules

19K views 214 replies 42 participants last post by  Butch Kemp 
#1 ·
I know it says in the rules section they would be looked back over after the 3rd race, in my opinion they should be looked back over now. The big blocks need weight added or the small block minium weight needs to be changed. Whats everybody elses opinion on this???

#5 ·
Dave I went 1.16 60' against van's 1.26 and I still got out e.t.'d by .03???????? its only logical math......but anytime I talk about something "I'm crying"??????
Glad someone else brought it up.

#4 ·
Rules dont seem bad. The SB where close to the ET as the BB. The one BB that won the race is I believe the only Milan purpose built car there friday.

#6 ·
You dont have to ask me.......only bad part is there aren't any small block guys to ask.........10-15% of the field anymore??

#7 ·
conventional head should get another 50lb deduct

#8 ·
and im thinking about a change in my program

#9 ·
a All Motor class should be weight per cubic inch
not small block weight vs big block weight

doesnt take long to pump a motor to check them

#12 ·
Lance your only a tenth or 2 from them #s and i think the red bulb got you not Allen.
i think im going to step out of this class for some time and try to figure out what its going to take to pick up a 1/2 a sec and i know more money!

#37 ·
I understand im 2 tenths from them but to get 2 more tenths out of my car will take a lot more money. It takes more money to make a small block run as fast as the big blocks.
Lance - "What if" you hadn't red lit against Alan and beat him? That would have put you and Butch in the Final. Please tell me how a small block break would have helped you? Butch went .29 and was on a mission to go .24-25 in the Final.

Or..."What if" you had beaten Alan, but Van had not got tree'd by Butch. Then Van spins in the Final against you.....and you win.

Would this topic even exist with either of the two scenario's above?

I am not picking on you....just responding to the thread you started. You bought a two time Champion car! Why are you at a disadvantage now? When Patterson ran your combo, the BB were right with him. Now that they've stepped up, its a problem? Dont say your SB cant run .20's, because Kemp is doing it.

I will say this. You have a great car and its DEADLY consistant. YOU drive the living shit out of that car. YOU are a threat to the class just like many of the others. You have a far better chance at winning than "most" of the class. Your resource pool is large and you have access to alot of things others dont. I dont see you at any disadvantage. You'll get there and everyone will be chasing you.

Good luck. Your team works hard, very hard and it will pay off.

#26 ·
Dave that's pretty good IMHO.

Conventional BB at 3200, or 3150... could be fast.

I'd like to see what Bennetts car would run with a Flight in it... that would be a big indicator to what the stick needs for weight. I can't hardly give my opinion on that considering my position, but what the hell it should be 0. :)

#17 ·
it depends on the motor, and conventional head bbc only shows a high 70s low 80s so just to show you its only two cars that are bbc in the class is not conventional and there the top 2 so don't hate on all the bb guys

#19 ·
One race and the bitching begins.

Why dont we all see what some of the other cars that couldnt make this race can do. Some people have some power left as they tune on the setup.

I'm not happy with the numbers I seen either.

If there is a rule change I say deduct from cars not add.

#21 ·
IMHO, the only way to correct it is to leave the current, exotic combinations where they are at and build up the more conventional combinations up around them.

In other words, enable the more conventional stuff to run faster, without impacting the current fast combinations.

Weight breaks for conventional BBC heads is a good start.

I don't mean weight breaks for every damn combination on the planet either..... that is nothing BUT A CIRCUS.

I don't know what to do with the small block heads, because you have a SB2 head running 40's and 50's, and a wedge head running .20's. What's the answer to that?

As for weight, Alan already runs heavy.... 100 over the current rule will not slow that car down and only make things more dangerous.

#24 ·
Mark I think any intake rules are a mistake. Guys with money will have intakes 'made', and disguised... it's not even really that much money in the big picture. Now you have guys who think it's right to abide by the rules and run a legal intake and then you will have guys willing to spend the loot to have a 'good' legal intake...

It's alright to leave the sheet intakes out in my opinion, but personally, I don't care either way on that deal.

But restricting the type of work that goes into a cast intake just spells $$$$$ You can limit the outside of the intake to remain stock.... some type of rule like that.... but even that can get costly as people will do 'slight' changes to gain the edge and disguise it.

#25 ·
I also think that rules in the end cost more $$$$ as people try to work around them to keep the same performance level.

Money is tight for most folks so run what ya have and try to have fun.

#32 ·
To my knowledge, there are no pontiacs in A/M.

Aren't there enough issues to figure out with small block versus big block? That part is hard enough to figure out and now you want a to inject a white elephant into the circus? :smt017 That's not helping anything.

#34 ·
I think this is a little pre-mature if you ask me.

There's only been one race for god sake! Chris is right, as soon as the heat rolls in, Alan and Van will be slipping and slidding again.

The rules have been the same pretty much since the beginning. You want to run the class, build a car to run the class. Some people have, more are coming.

People talk about the money they havent spent yet. What about those that have already spent it? Is your money any different from theirs? This class isnt cheap to start with and its not going to get any cheaper.....EVER, no matter the rule change.

This is racing......and the first one to the stripe wins. The fastest car doesnt always win. Many other factors come into play (wheelies, tires spin, poor reaction time and red lights). Every combination has its pro's and con's. Its how you manage your combo that makes you a player in the game.

Van got beat on a hole shot, to a slower car (that night). Butch and Lance red lit. Sounds to me like the drivers lost the races, not the cars/combo's. I'm not picking on anybody, thats just what happened......and can happen to anyone!

Mag has had the fastest/quickest car for the last few years, with a small block. Did he dominate the class? No, they struggled getting down the track (sometimes) with wheelies and tire spin. Patterson didnt have the fastest car, but won two back to back championships. Butch won the championship before that....and Howdy's car went faster (if I remember correctly).

2005 Lane (big block)
2006 Kemp (small block)
2007 Patterson (small block)
2008 Patterson (small block)
2009 Van (big block)

Looks like 3 small blocks to 2 big blocks!

When are the big blocks gonna get a break to even the score? :rolleyes:

#36 ·
I think this is a little pre-mature if you ask me.

There's only been one race for god sake! Chris is right, as soon as the heat rolls in, Alan and Van will be slipping and slidding again.

The rules have been the same pretty much since the beginning. You want to run the class, build a car to run the class. Some people have, more are coming.

People talk about the money they havent spent yet. What about those that have already spent it? Is your money any different from theirs? This class isnt cheap to start with and its not going to get any cheaper.....EVER, no matter the rule change.

This is racing......and the first one to the stripe wins. The fastest car doesnt always win. Many other factors come into play (wheelies, tires spin, poor reaction time and red lights). Every combination has its pro's and con's. Its how you manage your combo that makes you a player in the game.

Van got beat on a hole shot, to a slower car (that night). Butch and Lance red lit. Sounds to me like the drivers lost the races, not the cars/combo's. I'm not picking on anybody, thats just what happened......and can happen to anyone!

Mag has had the fastest/quickest car for the last few years, with a small block. Did he dominate the class? No, they struggled getting down the track (sometimes) with wheelies and tire spin. Patterson didnt have the fastest car, but won two back to back championships. Butch won the championship before that....and Howdy's car went faster (if I remember correctly).

2005 Lane (big block)
2006 Kemp (small block)
2007 Patterson (small block)
2008 Patterson (small block)
2009 Van (big block)

Looks like 3 small blocks to 2 big blocks!

When are the big blocks gonna get a break to even the score? :rolleyes:
Thats five years it can't be even. LoL J/k. Dont pay me any attention I just like the class.

#39 ·
So Rick, where do you think the BB conventional head stands?
I'm not sure how to answer that....
Yes, they are at a disadvantage against a big chief type head. However, the current class rules allow you to run either. Its all about decisions: Conv. Heads can run most anywhere, B/C's cannot.

There are some REALLY good conv. heads out there. The NMCA p/s stuff is all conv. head. So, can it be done? I think, yes....but with a cost. Remember the fastest car doesnt always win. You just have to be in the game.

With deals like this out there, I cant see why anyone would run a conv. head in a car they only plan to run at Milan.
http://www.racingjunk.com/category/0/unset/post/1889563/14-Degree-Big-Chief-Cyl.-Heads.html

This a similar situation to the SB vs. BB issue. If they give them a break, someone will capitalize on it.

IMO....50-75lbs would probably be fair, BUT its another damn rule for everyone to bitch about.

#41 ·
I agree nobody wants to see more rules. I think there are a couple cars that are sitting out because of the Conv. Heads not being competative. I would hate to see the car count get any lower. I know it's only the first race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.