Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Spare tire wall mount

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  stage20 
#1 · (Edited)
I made this spare tire mount out of scrap i had in the garage. Im wondering if its any good. I would like to mount it high on the wall off the floor and would hate for it to crash on the trunk of my car. Opinions on any modifications that it needs like a longer base? The wheel and tire weighs 44 lbs.

Made my own because most of the stuff out for sale is no better than what I have built. Any opinion on what fasteners it needs for mounting to the square tubing in the walls?

See less See more
#3 ·
did you just mount it through the wood wall, or is it anchored into the steel stud as well? im scared to put my tire on the wall, though id like to. i just load and unload it with the car. its still easy to get to if i need it.

#6 ·
some are very thin on the economy trailers. i want to say .030. i think the ones in my pace are .060 or .090. a few #10 or #12 self drilling screws should hold a couple hundred pounds, IMO. but that once instance is what i keep thinking about.
:p

#7 ·
I have a Pace but the idea of hanging a 16" steel wheel and tire on that trailer wall just don't seem natural to me. mine had the spare bolted outside to the frt. with 3/8" bolts thru the wall with aluminum diamond plate inside and out and I didn't think that the wall was strong enough for that.

#8 ·
i would lengthen and widen the rear support piece you are anchoring to the wall studs....the haulmark bracket is twice as wide and is as tall as the spare tire...it also has a wider gromet to enforce the bolt/hold-down mechanism.

i moved mine off the wall to the floor ...rather be safe than sorry

#10 ·
I did exactly the same thing for the same reason. There's alot of bounce at the back end of the trailer and I couldn't live with myself if it ever broke loose and damaged my car or bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.