Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Duramax Fuel Tank

5K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Stefan D. 
#1 ·
I have an 08 GMC 2500 4dr short bed. I has about a 22 gallon tank and when towing, that makes for a lot of stops. What have you guys done to increase capacity and what are the pros and cons.

#2 ·
#3 ·
#4 ·
The little ass tank is the one thing I have bitched about my 2005 since I bought it. Pulling a trailer you gotta stop every 200 -250 miles and get fuel.
I put a 60 gallon tank (with the small tool box on the top) in the bed. I put a cut off valve on the bottom and tapped the line into the vent tube. When I hit the road I just open the valve and it fills the tank. If you drive for a few hours the fuel guage goes to empty and the low fuel light comes on. I have no idea why. If you cut the tank valve off once you drive a little ways the guage goes back up. Or if you just drive till the big tank emptys it will start working again.

It sure is nice to have almost 90 gallons when I hit the road. I've driven several times more than 8hrs without ever stopping.

#8 ·
The website says the gauge remains accurate, the trip computer can be reprogrammed with EFI live.

#11 ·
I bought a 110 gallon aluminum transfer tank from Tractor Supply and hooked a couple turnbuckles to the front bed tie downs. Put an Apollo ball valve on it and ran a dash six line to the OEM filler neck. 135 gallons on board now, 1,000+ mile towing range and buy your fuel when you want. Shaves hours off long trips.

#14 ·
I used to work with the GM 4500/5500 trucks with the Duramax, they had a calibration stratagy that monitored fuel usuage. And if the computerd did not see a certain amount of fuel drop/useage with in a set amount of time/miles, it assumed there was a fuel level problem and would force the guage to go to empty. After cycling the key, the guage would return to working. This was a big issue when aftermarket tanks where added and plumbed into the system. I would not be surprised if the 2500/3500 did the same. Its been several years since I delt with this, so I have no idea if they have made any changes.

#15 ·
I used to work with the GM 4500/5500 trucks with the Duramax, they had a calibration stratagy that monitored fuel usuage. And if the computerd did not see a certain amount of fuel drop/useage with in a set amount of time/miles, it assumed there was a fuel level problem and would force the guage to go to empty. After cycling the key, the guage would return to working. This was a big issue when aftermarket tanks where added and plumbed into the system. I would not be surprised if the 2500/3500 did the same. Its been several years since I delt with this, so I have no idea if they have made any changes.

I'd be willing to bet that's the reason, but my fuel guage will never come back up unless I turn the valve off and burn about 5 or so gallons out or the big tank runs empty and burns off 5 or so gallons then it will pop back up to full. Even leaving the truck parked all night it still stays on E and the low fuel light stays on. It will do it for weeks if I don't burn some fuel off.

This is my tank. I bought it used for $350. Notice the valve on the left side. It does have a fuel guage inside the lid.
You can see the tool box on the top ( about 6 inches) and the rest is 60 gal. fuel tank.

I don't think I could own a truck without an extra tank in it anymore.

#19 ·
I ended up putting a 37 gallon tank in the bed that gravity feeds in to the filler neck. I went for a trip and at 90 miles the gauge went to empty. After I shut the truck off, it went back to full. It was nice to go to the track and back without having to fill up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.