Yellow Bullet Forums banner

My car seems slow..... Kinda

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  gt_diesel 
#1 ·
Tell me what you guys think... I am building a new engine, but here are the specs from the last one.

My car weighs 2900 pounds with driver...
It hooks from 1.10 to 1.16 sixty foot times...
33x16.5 Tires...

I am running a 2 speed glide at this time.

The Engine was a 548" Standard Deck BBC.
Bowtie block which was pretty tired. It had seen some main walk, and had one or two head stud holes repaired. Block was filled with hard block.

4.25" Stroke Ohio Crankshaft
BME 426 Rods
Arias 11.5 to 1 pistons
Dart 360 Heads Ported and Flowed to 410 @ .800
Harold Brookshire .810 lift camshaft, Jessel Rockers, springs were 340# closed, 1000# or so Open.
Intake is a custom competition blower intake.
Blower is a 14-71 Littlefield High Helix with the Pie shaped opening.
40% overdrive and 38 Pounds of Boost.
Nitro Barrel Valve, 16 Injectors. We are running it a little rich, but safe.

Now I boke two rods in this motor a couple weeks ago due to an oiling issue... But this combo was used for at least 5 years and ran in the 7.60's to 7.70's in the 1/4, and 4.80's to 4.90's in the 1/8th.

This seems very slow to me compared to other cars with similar engine combos... I just read about a car over on Inside Top Alcohol which ran in the 6.30's with a PSI blower and Dart 360's @ 2700 Pounds. I also just saw an old chevy at a nostalgia race running in the 4.60's @ 3000 pounds, Dart 360's and a 10-71.

So right now I am in the process of building my new engine. I am running the same heads, cam, intake, blower and injection. Compression ratio is going to stay at 11.5 to 1.

The Block is a Solid Aluminum Rodeck 481T. It will either be 526" or 533" depending on how far I go on the bore. Crankshaft is a LA Kryptonite Billet, and Rods are Brooks 65 with Hemi wrist pins.

I am planning on running 40% over which should be again in the high 30's for boost.

I am changing my valve spring combo with a really trick set... They are capable of over 400# Seat Pressure, and well over 1200# open.

Should I see some improvements besides in the weight removed from the old bowtie block to the new aluminum one...

How much weight should be taken off with the new block?

Either way, the old motor was launched at 3000, shifted at 8000, went thru the traps in the quarter at 8300 @ 183mph.

Let me know what you think.... I think I should be going faster than 7.60's... Maybe it is the powerglide that is slowing me down????

See less See more
#2 ·
More power is made or lost in the fuel system than anywhere else.

Define a 'little fat' better. Is it burning the cad off? Whats the system pressure setup as?

Why so much valve spring pressure? The old spring pressure should have been adequate. With 1200 lbs open, I'd think you'd be on the verge of pulling heads off of valves without titanium.

Where's your intake valve closing? Lots can be lost/gained with dynamic compression.

#3 ·
They are titainum....

We burn between 30 and 50 % of the cadmium off depending on the air and the track.

I would have to look at the cam card, but it pulls like a bastard top end and off the line... It just seems lazy in the middle.

#4 ·
They are titainum....

We burn between 30 and 50 % of the cadmium off depending on the air and the track.

I would have to look at the cam card, but it pulls like a bastard top end and off the line... It just seems lazy in the middle.
That's your fuel curve.... Your EGT's on the logger should show it.

#5 ·
i had a 509 chevy sililar components went 7.30s at 2700 lbs,went 4.60s on average, turbo 400. ended up 7 teens with a lenco and clutch. hi helix retro littlefield 50 over.
the weight will help...the best investment you can make is a set of big chiefs or a killer blower, carbon hat and spacer. and strip it around every 30 passes

#6 ·
I dont have a logger.... just plugs...

The reason I am trying these new springs is because the car used to go thru valve springs like it was going out of style. We called up and they said these were the cats ass.

The cat sixty foots well, and it runs good mph @ 183 in the quarter...

The cam in the car seems to pull like crazy top end.

I am hoping that the new block should lighten things up a bunch and speed it up a little.

Anyway, I just cant help but thing that 7.60's are slow for that much motor at 2900 pounds.

#9 ·
Well the blower is kinda wimpy given what it is and the CID it's on, but that again may be cam timing.

There is no way to adjust fuel curve without a logger. You have no way of seeing when the motor is fat or lean via EGTs at a given point on track.

We're running very similar motors, and I'm fully expecting to run 7.50s @ 3450 Lbs once we get the chassis and motor dialed in.

#8 ·
I would like to go consistant 4.60's

Hopefully that 125+ pounds of weight savings will help...

I am also hoping that where I was running 40% over before on the 548, I should be able to keep it at 40% with the new 526 and not have to mess too much with the fueling...

#11 ·
Also, the car goes down the track like it is on rails... Hooks up well and goes straight as an arrow...

Would the block being old and tired make it take a hit on horsepower?

I will say that the blower was re-stripped three runs ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.