Yellow Bullet Forums banner

smooth side/screwless trailers

9K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  ThorPro 
#1 ·
How well do they hold up over time?

Looking to order a new trailer very soon and am considering the smooth side option as it's not terribly costly.

I used the 3m VHB tape on the aluminum skin of the trailer I built and recently sold. It help up extremely well for my deal. Built in 2003 and not one loose skin since then.

thanks for any feedback.
Todd

#2 ·
I have one small spot on my smoothside trailer mine that pop's up in the heat,if I had to do it again
Id avoid anything with 3M tape,it does not hold up in the heat.I think they have not fully figured out
expansion and contraction when making these things with tape

I also had a piece of trim pop off inside
that looks impossible to get back in place also help up by 3M tape...

#10 ·
I have one small spot on my smoothside trailer mine that pop's up in the heat,if I had to do it again
Id avoid anything with 3M tape,it does not hold up in the heat.I think they have not fully figured out
expansion and contraction when making these things with tape

I also had a piece of trim pop off inside
that looks impossible to get back in place also help up by 3M tape...

X2 Brother
They look nice new, but down the road and The longer they are I believe they have more problems with them

#6 ·
My buddy bought a 28 ft standard height and it is a year old and has 3 spots that gap open. He told me his was taped too. Another friend built his own tooter 5 yrs ago and it is screwless sided and is still perfect. He used a glue on his.

#7 ·
The trailer in quesiton is a Vintage Outlaw 28'. Standard deal is .030" with screws. Optional is the smooth/screwless and is .040" aluminum.

trying to decide if to order with .030/screws and wonder if the screws will rust vs .040 screwless and wonder if it will come loose over time.

This is my first enclosed trailer, so no personal history for either.

#9 ·
My Pace has the taped panels. So far i havent had any problems with the panels staying bonded but i did have a serious corrosion problem with just the doors. It was warrantied, but my local dealer wouldnt touch the taped panel so i had to drive over 5hrs to a dealer equipped to replace them. Came out nice though.

#11 ·
I have a Show Hauler with screw less and 5 years no problem looks great! Just ordered another trailer from Hickory Enclosed Trailer Sales look for great results again thanks Angie, Bobby and Jeff, Racing Performance Motor Coaches

#14 ·
A buddy just built his toter home and used tape on the corners for the instant bond. He used the glue on all the seams
but, it has to cure for 24hrs. He's had no trouble so far. This guy is Very smart. He decided he wanted a garage in his
but , he wanted a rollback as well. He used his home made cnc plasma cutter and cad to build his truck. It's the only toter I've seen w/ a enclosed rollback and it has a wheel lift on the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.