Yellow Bullet Forums banner

TRE Racing Engines

58K views 130 replies 53 participants last post by  TWINS101Z 
#1 ·
Any dealings with TRE, waiting for a fogger install.

#3 ·
There are multiple threads here on the forum about TRE. I would advise you to use the search function for that TOBT forum or google TRE Yellowbullet. And cook some popcorn.

#6 ·
I found two threads, a guy that broke a motor doing 10K burn outs on the limiter (idiot) and a guy that had an intake crushed by UPS and didn't want to follow UPS's reimbursement procedures (wanted TRE to eat it). Neither of these appear to make TRE look badly to me. Do you know of any others I havent seen(listed)?

#9 ·
TRE has built 6 or 7 engines for me. I have had extremely good service, performance, and value out of every engine. Taylor is a racer and understands the needs of his customers. You will not find anyone in this business that somebody won't bad mouth. I can just tell you from my experiance and performance I highly recommend TRE.

#10 ·
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559752

Op, here is another thread. You will notice people that use him seem to be happy with his work(some rather big name programs). Apparently there are a lot of threads I missed with negative shit (I guess I didnt try hard enough according to the forum pro's)but I have had good dealings with him so far. I will post up further dealings when the time comes. I ignore hearsay and look for people that have had dealings with them. Go search and make your own mind up.

#12 ·
saw a few of his engines kicking azz this past weekend at no problem raceway!! never saw a problem with any of them..... just a fact...never delt with him or TRE but his stuff was running great!! and took the money!!:cool:

#13 ·
If you dont want to throw your money away, be lied to time and time again, not get what you paid for, miss out on your drag racing season and the list goes on go else where. Taylor Lastor has been my worse nightmare for the last 18 months. Any body thinking of using him save yourself the headache and go elsewhere, or give your money to charity you will at least feel better for it.

#14 ·
I guess its hit or miss. Every car Ive seen he has a motor in X275 right now is flying. Top 4 qualifiers at a race 2 weeks ago were all TRE motors. I dont have any personal experience with him but I have a few friends that have motors done by them and have no complaints.

#17 ·
we've had sevral motors built by him and had great luck with all. he takes the time to talk to you about your program and is always helping. given us deals on stuff that no one else could. helped us get the combination and nos tune ups for our x275 car and first race had us in the top 21 fastest 2013 x275 cars. and were just getting started.

#18 · (Edited)
Depends on who you ask--i have never dealt with him myself but have two very close friends that he pretty much Phucked real good--2windows on here is one of them and the other wishes to remain nameless---he recently built another friend of mine's engine(against several peoples advice) and the first time out he burnt two pistons trying to run three kits because he had the tuneup out of wack, when he removed the head found that all four intake valves on the pass side of the engine were hitting the valve reliefs----Taylor repaired the engine free of charge and had it back to him very quickly--installed in the car and warmed it up to set the valves and run a compression test--found the compression all over the place on the same bank--he is tearing it down himself to see what the problem is--i have not heard back from him as of yet-- i personally would not use TRE based on personal opinion but Hillbilly Thomas,Pipeline and several other people in the area that i know do and have had great dealings with TRE--it is just my opinion on the matter

#19 ·
Me personally I'm not concerned with little tire cars, I do get a kick out of them though. I have 17/33.5 meats on mine and if I can get a 6.50 on the board with 2 kits then i will be happy. I've known people in the past that had his stuff and it was fast but back then I had a 10 second car. Now I'm all grown up and have my big boy pants on.
On the other thread I would hope nobody would be doing a 9k rpm burn out. Maybe that buy means he was shifting at 9200...
USA all day;)

#20 ·
Me personally I'm not concerned with little tire cars, I do get a kick out of them though. I have 17/33.5 meats on mine and if I can get a 6.50 on the board with 2 kits then i will be happy. I've known people in the past that had his stuff and it was fast but back then I had a 10 second car. Now I'm all grown up and have my big boy pants on.
On the other thread I would hope nobody would be doing a 9k rpm burn out. Maybe that buy means he was shifting at 9200...
USA all day;)

#22 ·
Cold69bird. First of all, I take full responsibility in burning up a couple of pistons in my engine. It was truly my fault and not TRE's. I turned on a third kit and was not on top of it, and had too much timing left in it for my 12 degree heads.
In regards to the valves touching the pistons, I can see an honest mistake made. During freshening with new rods and pistons, the #1 piston was clayed and checked for clearnace. fair enough. It was the passenger side head that had contact, less on #8 piston and most on #2. Somehow, the machining of dowels or valve locations is slightly off on this head.... I can see how a mistake was done.
Taylor did install two spare pistons, fly-cut remaining pistons, rebuilt the engine ...... all free of charge. I have no complaints.
The subsequent compression issue was not valve or piston related..... just a head gasket issue.

Taylor has been fully up front with me and help me all the way.... I have no complaints.... I just need to be more carefull with my tuning in the future.

See you at the races... Bengt

#25 ·
Gald your happy and back running Bengt, wasn't going to put your name out there and wasn't really bashing Taylor--i think Taylor took care of you the right way and was very quick about it, can't ask for much more--just giving my opinion on the question that was asked buy the OP--see you in Prescott

#26 ·
To Cold69bird. As usual a man with no dealing with a company and no real knowledge of what hes talking about, is interjecting your story like its gospel and leading believing people to thinking we screw people. To answer the story first of your "close friends we screwed" here is your quote to say it exact "i have never dealt with him myself but have two very close friends that he pretty much Phucked real good" First the man you and YB is called "two windows". Chris as I know him. HAS NEVER bought a TRE engine, used TRE to freshen his engine, bought a single valve spring for an engine from TRE. So how exactly did he your close friend get phucked on an engine from TRE??? please explain that one, dont you have to buy and engine, bring us an engine, buy parts to an engine or have a TRE engine to get phucked?? You answered these people who asked about TRE engines with that statement of yours, that TRE fucked him, Im very very confused. What Chris did have done here was work on his chassis by Dewayne Custer who I hired after him and chris had a deal and had this job lined up, then dewayne managed and ran lastor race cars and did mods on his car. He wasnt happy with them and Dewayne was fired for that and other jobs as he should have been doing poor work, i admit. But the minute chris called me with his un happyness in dewaynes work when he got the car home, I then had my other chassis man/manager call him and he told chris he would come to him and complete repairs or bring iut back no charge. He did neither, what else can i do??? Making your statement very untrue was him doing any business with TRE on engines, FALSE. He has zero knowledge of our engines.. used, new, freshens, parts anything period, hes had no engine work done here. Very misleading statement about TRE engines period. A interesting point and story on this particular customer I like to tell and let people know of "how bad of people we are" since you brought him up its fair to ALL of his TRE story. Chris had a approx $5000 at the time. He brought an entire blown BB chevy engine to my shop in pieces and asked if I could sell it to help pay his bill. He assured us it was all there and good to sell, but he needed to sell it towards his bill. I did just that, I advertised and sold it within a month after numerous phone calls and lots of emails and pics of the junk. The minute I got the funds on the sale chris emailed me that he needed all I could give him, that he was in a bad spot and needed cash bad. (I have the emails on facebook to back this up!) I sent this man a check with his money leaving him oweing me money! I still had to assemble, dyno and crate this engine of his. Well the billet rods were cracked, the cam was junk, lifters were missing, two valves were missing, half the blower drive was gone, I had to hone the block, assemble the heads, dyno, install new rods, install new pistons, new rings, new valve springs. oil, oil filter, race gas, labor, dyno, etc etc. That engine COSTS me $3000 out of my pocket when it was said and done! But chris' car was gone and I was left holding nothing to show but hard work and no way to recoop my money. But I couldnt "pfhuck someone" and not give them what they paid me for. I gave them all good parts and what they bargained for from me and just took in the ass on the deal. AND bailed out a guy that needed money asap. ALL on an engine that wasnt one of ours to begin with and lost money on. SO thats how bad TRE fucked "two windows" name another engine builder that would sell something like that in piles of junk and hand a man a check wheh he owed them money! Aint gonna find one are you..

So theres one half of your "friends" TRE fucked, but not really as he doenst have a TRE motor or even a cam bearing from TRE

#27 ·
TRE has got 4 of the baddest BBC NOS motors in X275. Taylor's chassis shop built my car and TRE did some upgrades to an existing Turbo motor I bought from another shop. I will say this much if my current combo dosen't get the job done I will with out a doubt turn to TRE to build me something that will.

#28 ·
Its funny all of TRE's customers seem to have nothing but great things to say about their experiences. Look at some of the teams and people that run TRE setups and what they have accomplished. I am dealing with Taylor for the first time but (like I said in the other thread I linked above), I was referred to TRE by several very satisfied customers and I'm sure I will be a happy too. KS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.