Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1995 F-250 Super Duty 7.3 turbo, need a touch more power???

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  mrdragster1970 
#1 ·

Do not need 300 more HP, just looking for some cheap, do itself ideas to get a little more power.
Sold my new truck when we were going to get a toter, and now I'll be towing with this instead.
Trailer is probably 10,000-11,000 lbs and tall.

How do I get 50 ish more safe HP without taxing anything above what it can handle.
Plus I do not want to spend big money on every fad, just some basics that will help.

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
One big change for that one will be an exhaust including downpipe. The stock downpipe is ludicrously restrictive. Replacing it requires cutting/flattening of a pinch weld on the firewall, but if you use a sawzall and cut it into small "strips" you can bend each strip over easily with a crowbar and a block of wood.

Also go with a free flowing intake (Tymar or similar open element filter).

A set of gauges to monitor at least EGTs, preferably trans temp and boost pressure as well.

A 6-position chip with custom tunes, from someone like Tony Wildman, Swamps Diesel, Beans Diesel, or DP Tuner. All of those except DP use a TS Performance chip but with their tunes (DP uses a proprietary chip). With a combination like this you should increase from about 180 RWHP to about 240 RWHP, a noticeable increase. Much more than that will require an aftermarket clutch (if manual) or an aftermarket multi-disk converter and valve body mods (for automatic). With those mods you can step up to stage I injectors and appropriate tuning mods. With that combination on mine it makes ~350 RWHP, but the EGTs are too high to be able to keep my foot in it when towing. It needs an intercooler or water injection (about to add the IC).

#4 ·

Excellent, thanks guys, gives me somewhere to start.
Like I said, just need a little for the bigger trailer to help get up the hills.
No mountains or trying to go 90 mph in the plans!!

#5 ·
From friends that have made the install, there isn't much HP to be gained just with the intercooler install, BUT it allows you to push it harder in the hills without exceeding safe EGTs (so effectively more HP in those conditions). I'll be curious to see what mine does with the IC on the dragstrip, but I won't be a bit surprised to see it run the exact same ETs, especially with the weight of the IC, tubing and mounts added. BTW, mine regularly runs around 24,500 GCVW, with a big slide-in camper on the truck and pulling a heavy 32' tag trailer with 2 door cars and a Jr dragster in it! And this is in the very hilly Pacific NW.

#8 ·

Thread back from the dead??

I actually just pulled the trans last night, and will be getting this thing back in towing shape over the winter.
So I haven't investigated anything farther, but if anyone wants to add some thoughts & links, please do, perfect timing!!

#9 ·
I used propane injection on my last motorhome. It had a 300hp Cat in it. It was turned on at 18lbs of turbo boost. Made a heck of a difference.

#10 ·

Will that be any good and last on a 300 mile trip pulling a big ass trailer???
I don't want to replace a giant bottle of propane every 50 miles???;)

#11 ·
Our fellow Diesel Power Magazine staffer has a 97 Ford he has been upgrading, eventually hitting 500rwhp. How much power do you want? Do you want to keep the stock trans, or are you willing to mod it? For most, a tuner and 350rwhp should be pretty good for towing.

#12 ·

The trans is sitting in one of my other trucks as we speak, getting dropped off for a rebuild/upgrade & triple disk converter tomorrow.
So the trans will be fine.
I only want 300 HP, mainly because it's pretty damn flat here, and don't need to push it.
350 HP would be the max I would want to try on a 170,000 mile 1995.

Thanks, it sounds like a basic tuner and the new trans should do me fine??
I believe this thing was about 250 HP, but would have to check, I doubt it was anymore then that.

#13 ·

Do not need 300 more HP, just looking for some cheap, do itself ideas to get a little more power.
Sold my new truck when we were going to get a toter, and now I'll be towing with this instead.
Trailer is probably 10,000-11,000 lbs and tall.

How do I get 50 ish more safe HP without taxing anything above what it can handle.
Plus I do not want to spend big money on every fad, just some basics that will help.

Thanks guys.

My cousin just ordered from Cheapdieselchips.com for his 96 it was like 150$ for 60 hp chip. Gets a couple more mpg and he bought the exhaustbrake kit also. It runs great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.