Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Ford Techs need your Help 2009 Ford Flex

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Ron Miller 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 Ford Flex that has a problem with the ""Easy Fuel No Cap Fuel System "". The trap door will Not Open in the Fuel tank. What the Hell is going on ?? BY chance is the a Ford Silent Recall on this ?? Is their a way around this system so I can put fuel in the tank ?? Do any of you Guys have a number to Ford warranty claims, Customer Service Division. My Wife called the dealer and they said the fix could be up to 2 to 3 hours plus parts. I can see the Dollar Meter running up past $ 300.00 plus to fix this Bull $hit. Dont even get me started on the front & rear brakes ordeal !

Thanks for looking,

Ron

#2 · (Edited)
no tsbs for a flex and i have actually never put hands on one. diesel/auto trans/rear end guy. ill look around on fmc for the number.
  • uses a 2-speed Mechanical Returnless Fuel System (MRFS) .
  • has a dual-container (saddle-type) fuel tank.
  • has a FP module that supplies fuel under pressure to the fuel rail.
  • has a lifetime fuel filter (serviced as part of the FP module).
  • has fuel tubes (liquid and vapor) along with brake tubes mounted on the underside of the vehicle in a bundle.
  • fuel injection rail pressure is controlled by the electronic FP module which is enabled by the PCM.
  • has an Easy FuelTM (capless) fuel tank filler pipe assembly, which cannot be modified in any way and is serviced only by installation of a new fuel tank filler pipe assembly.
  • has a supplemental refueling adapter located in the spare tire compartment.
  • has a FP module that operates on 10 or 12 volts depending on load, that supplies fuel under pressure to the fuel rail.
  • has a FP control module located behind the RH C-pillar trim panel.
  • has a fuel level vent valve (part of the fuel tank FP module).
  • has a serviceable fuel level sender mounted on the FP module and fuel level sensor assembly.
The FP is controlled by the PCM. Electrical power to the FP is provided through the FP control module.

#5 · (Edited)
I've had to replace the fuel filler assem on a Escape-same bad design as what's on your vehicle. This one was broken open and would not seal the system tripping the check engine light for a evap code.

I'm not sure but I would forcibly break it open-no other way to get gas in -, then it should be considered a emmision repair,because that will turn on the check engine light-should be 8 -80 on all emmision related equipment.

John

No, a evap leak will not cause it from opening

#7 ·
You mean when you put the nozzle in and squeeze it, it clicks off right away?

Symptom Chart Condition Possible Sources Action
  • Slow to fill

• Fuel tank filler pipe

• Fuel tank filler pipe vent tube, if equipped

• Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system

• Fuel tank inlet check valve (part of the fuel tank)

• Fuel level vent valve (part of the FP module)

• All other fuel system concerns

• Fuel system components

• REFER to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.
Pinpoint Test
Pinpoint Test A: Slow to Fill
Normal Operation
Under normal operation, fuel should flow at a steady rate through the fuel tank filler pipe into the fuel tank. As fuel enters the fuel tank, air is vented through the filler pipe or the On-Board Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) system.
This pinpoint test is intended to diagnose the following:

• Fuel tank filler pipe vent tube, if equipped
  • Fuel tank filler pipe
  • Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system
  • Fuel tank inlet check valve (part of the fuel tank)
  • Fuel level vent valve, if equipped (part of the Fuel Pump (FP) module)
PINPOINT TEST A : SLOW TO FILL A1 CARRY OUT INSPECTION AND VERIFICATION
  • Carry out Inspection and Verification.

Was the cause of the concern found?

Yes REPAIR or INSTALL new components to correct the concern. No GO to A2.

A2 CHECK THE SYSTEM FOR ANY EVAP DTCs
  • Connect the scan tool.

• Check the system for any of the following EVAP DTCs: P0446, P0451, P0452, P0453, P0454, P1450, P1451 and P260F.

Are any of these DTCs present?

Yes REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual to diagnose the EVAP system. No GO to A3.

A3 MONITOR THE FTP WHILE FILLING THE FUEL TANK
  • Monitor the Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) reference value while filling the fuel tank. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.

Is FTP within specification?

Yes GO to A5. No GO to A4.

A4 MONITOR THE FTP WHILE FILLING THE FUEL TANK WITH THE EVAP SYSTEM DISCONNECTED
  • Disconnect the fuel tank-to-EVAP canister quick connect coupling at the EVAP canister.

• Monitor the FTP reference value while filling the fuel tank. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.

Is FTP within specification?

Yes INSPECT the EVAP system for blockage or restrictions. REPAIR the blockage or restriction. If the blockage or restriction cannot be repaired, INSTALL new EVAP system components. No GO to A5.

A5 CHECK THE FUEL TANK FILLER PIPE ASSEMBLY FOR BLOCKAGE OR RESTRICTION
  • Remove the fuel tank filler pipe assembly. Refer to Section 310-01.

• Inspect the fuel tank filler pipe and fuel tank filler pipe vent tube (if equipped) for a blockage or restriction.

Is the fuel tank filler pipe or fuel tank filler pipe vent tube (if equipped) blocked or restricted?

Yes If possible, REPAIR the blockage or restriction. If the blockage or restriction cannot be repaired, INSTALL a new fuel tank filler pipe or fuel tank filler pipe vent tube. No GO to A6.

A6 CHECK THE FUEL TANK INLET CHECK VALVE
  • Inspect the fuel tank inlet check valve for restriction or sticking.

Is the fuel tank inlet check valve restricted or sticking?

Yes If possible, REPAIR the restrictions. If the restriction cannot be repaired, INSTALL a new fuel tank. REFER to Section 310-01. No GO to A7.

A7 CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE FUEL LEVEL VENT VALVE IS FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY
  • Remove the FP module. Refer to Section 310-01.

• Inspect the fuel level vent valve for foreign material at the bottom of the drain hole.

• Invert the FP module. Watch for movement and a click noise.

Was a movement/click noise witnessed?

Yes Fuel level vent valve is OK. RETEST the system for normal operation. No INSTALL a new FP module. REFER to Section 310-01.

#9 ·
The filler door is manually operated on the Flex, if memory serves me rightly. Either you hook a finger behind an indent, or push in on it and it unlatches and a little spring doodad pushes it open enough for you to get your fingers in the gap.

#10 ·
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I talked to a Friend of mine and he to suggested looking for the small fill funnel. I found that, inserted it into the filler and it opened the trap door. Their are 2 flapper taps located at 3 & 9 o'clock. For what ever reasons the nozzle at the pump must have been a smaller diameter and would not trip the tabs. I'm going to keep a eye on this.

Thanks Again for the info, replies, etc.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.