Yellow Bullet Forums banner

ProSystem vs. QuickFuel vs. Proform vs. Holley HP

69K views 118 replies 66 participants last post by  8secsplash 
#1 ·
I was totally sold on a ProSystem carb until recently, when 2 fellow and trusted racers said they weren't worth all the hype. One of them told me their car slowed WAY down and the carb was WAY off from ProSystems. I'll leave their names out of it, but they're both past champs in a local racing series. The thing that scares me, is this is on a motor very similar to mine.

So, why spend the extra $140 plus on a carb that needs the same work as the rest? Which started my search for an "OTS" carb.

Looks like all the OTS carbs have adjustable air bleeds, even the Holley. Aside from the billet pieces, what can I really expect from the ProSystem, QFT or Proform carb, over the Holley HP?

This is going on a street/strip, 10.5:1, solid roller, AFR 205, Ford 408W. Looking for mid 10's on motor and 9's on a 100 hit.

1. ProSystems 850 http://www.prosystemsracing.com/proseries4150.html
2. Quick Fuel http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QFT-Q-850/
3. Proform http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-67201/
4. Holley HP http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-82851/

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes, I believe Patrick eventually sorted out his problems... FWIW, I have already talked to Patrick as well, and I'm impressed with his customer service so far. BUT, for the extra money, I would expect the carb will be 95% dead nuts. If it's not, I will be pissed, honestly.

#9 ·
Discount YB prices on Quickfuels or Proforms if needed ;)

#10 ·
my prosystems was right on from patrick,and its better than a hp-series holley,...at least in my tests,...no experiance with the other types.

#12 ·
me and my dad both have 400 based sbc's (406 & 421) i have a prosystems he has a quick fuel both were on target but dads was dyno tuned so it was not out the box and both ran with in .1 mine being faster but lighter 406 w/ prosystem carb. my idle was rich but never changed jets more than 2 up or down. with my jegs racer discount the quick fuel carbs are great deals.

#14 ·
A couple years ago I sat back a bunch of mmoney to buy a carb also and at the end of the day you still can't beat Quickfuel for the money and the knowledge they give you in return also.

For those looking don't forget Willy's carb also, still wish I would of bought one of theirs, mainly because they are in driving distance with a dyno.

#18 ·
braswell here. you spend the money, but its a very high quality piece. ive ran quick fuels in the past. its still on a buddys motor. very consistant and its been super reliable other than needle and seat o rings wearing out with this damn nasty pump gas.

#20 ·
When I decided to start racing my friends told me two things not to ever pinch pennies on. A carb and a torque converter. Prosystems and Quick Fuel are both excellent choices. My future brother-in-law has a Prosystems gas dominator and said he wouldn't own anything else.

#22 ·
I am just wondering why you never here about Dale Cubic from CFM carbs when these discusions come up? I always thought he was one of the best? Anyone have any experience with CFM carbs?

#24 ·
They had 2 of his carbs for sale on here awhile back that was brand new with shear plates that I wish I would have bought. I never heard anything bad about his carbs, I think it's the price that scares people off. I'm planning on going with 2 of the SV1's now. I know Patrick puts alot of time into these things and he designed them to be above the rest. The way I look at it is if the SV1's were equal to everthing else then they wouldn't be outlawed in pro stock.;) Michael

#23 ·
My thoughts on these, I see alot of different carburetors and brands come through my door to be converted to E85.
I look these carburetors over and see the many differences in the tune up and the calibrations.

some are good, some are crap, and some are copy-cat calibrations.

Holley is the origonal, they pioneered the performance carb and have recently stepped up their game and came into the new age with some modern day tuning, years of experience brought to modern day specs is just hard to beat.

Quickfuel makes a great performance carburetor, the styling and funtion works great and I personally believe that the Quickfuels performance was the reason that Holley was forced to step their game up.

Proform is a company from Roseville, MI that was at one time (and could still be) contracted with Quickfuel to make carburetors and is the same quality and performance as quickfuel box carbs.

I personally run a Braswell that I converted to E85, and I have to say the quality is the best I have ever seen in any carburetor, the Braswell Carburetor weighs nearly half the weight of a Proform or Holley Hp series and is noticably lighter than the Quickfuel aluminum bodied carburetors.

Braswell would be my first choice, but you pay for what you recieve...$$$
My second choice would be the aluminum bodied QFT race series carburetor.

there are many good builders out there, go with whoever you chose and hope you dont have to spend your money twice if you choose wrong.

Mark

#28 ·
My thoughts on these, I see alot of different carburetors and brands come through my door to be converted to E85.
I look these carburetors over and see the many differences in the tune up and the calibrations.

some are good, some are crap, and some are copy-cat calibrations.

Holley is the origonal, they pioneered the performance carb and have recently stepped up their game and came into the new age with some modern day tuning, years of experience brought to modern day specs is just hard to beat.

Quickfuel makes a great performance carburetor, the styling and funtion works great and I personally believe that the Quickfuels performance was the reason that Holley was forced to step their game up.

Proform is a company from Roseville, MI that was at one time (and could still be) contracted with Quickfuel to make carburetors and is the same quality and performance as quickfuel box carbs.

I personally run a Braswell that I converted to E85, and I have to say the quality is the best I have ever seen in any carburetor, the Braswell Carburetor weighs nearly half the weight of a Proform or Holley Hp series and is noticably lighter than the Quickfuel aluminum bodied carburetors.

Braswell would be my first choice, but you pay for what you recieve...$$$
My second choice would be the aluminum bodied QFT race series carburetor.

there are many good builders out there, go with whoever you chose and hope you dont have to spend your money twice if you choose wrong.

Mark
Yup that's exactly right.

#27 ·
Thanks for the reply about Dale Cubic. I am getting close to having all the parts for my build. I am wondering wether I want an SV1 or a carb from Dale. I just never here anyone mention CFM carbs. Anyone have any advice?

#32 ·
Thanks for the reply about Dale Cubic. I am getting close to having all the parts for my build. I am wondering wether I want an SV1 or a carb from Dale. I just never here anyone mention CFM carbs. Anyone have any advice?
call Dale!

#35 ·
All of my experience is in bracket/super class cars/boats. I've tried several "custom" carbs from big name builders (though I have not tried a ProSystems Carb) and NONE were better than Holley HP or Quickfuel carbs. Most of the custom carbs I tried made a bit more HP and ran a bit higher MHP, but all sucked in terms of consistancey on and off the throttle stop. To be honest, I wish I had not wasted as much time/money/races as I have trying to work with those carbs. Personally, I'll never run anything but stock Holley or Quickfuel carbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.