Yellow Bullet Forums banner

BUILDS:

98K views 435 replies 111 participants last post by  Brazen Goat 
#1 ·
Got the car back yesterday now the fun begins

Rhode's Custom Auto did the chassis and body work the quality is second to none.

Current engine is a 383 small bore, compstar crank and rods, diamond nitrous pistons, with some old GTP heads. TH400, 9" etc etc - still need to decide on the direct port system and a few other things

Future use will be in a 275 radial class, current set up I think would qualify but not set the world on fire - gotta start somewhere to learn and get some seat time.

See less See more
#87 ·
Re: Gettin our new Saturn ready. (Pics)

from what i understand, those engine bays are huge. atleast the chevy cobalt i saw with a tall deck big block in comp eliminator had one.

those things look oddly cool as a RWD. where did you pick up this body? i assume you didnt buy a new one off the showroom floor.

#88 ·

from what i understand, those engine bays are huge. atleast the chevy cobalt i saw with a tall deck big block in comp eliminator had one.

those things look oddly cool as a RWD. where did you pick up this body? i assume you didnt buy a new one off the showroom floor.

Yeah, they're pretty decent size.

it should weigh around 2800- 2900 we think.

Slone

#92 ·

that is bad phucking azz!
i was really expecting some old square body that looks like an old wore out vega bracket car.
props. thats different. you pulled it off.
what kinda times you looking at going?

#105 ·
Here is a link to my build:

XXX

Basic run down is a 1979 mercury zephyr with a twin 70mm turbo lsx, stock suspension drag radial street car!.... Check the link out above for all the pics/info on the build.

#107 ·
No problem!

The car is a 79 zephyr 2 door post that is getting everything out of my mustang.

The mustang ran a best et of 9.51 and a best mph of 147 and change, at a race weight of 3250 with a garbage 60 foot on a stock 6.0L bottom end, ported 317 heads and a stock ls6 intake/tb,Twin master power T70 turbos. on 14 psi and pump gas the combo made around 800 rwhp.

Here is a few pics/videos of the mustang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTEWwKyH3cA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3VzT0N9Sok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqQvX0uj1tk

Now after having the mustang for a few years and getting bored with it I am building what I want.... a Sleeper!

The car will be a 100% street car ,stock suspension,full interior,heat stereo etc and hopefully I can sneak it into the 8s this year as well.

Team Z upper and lower control arms
Competition engineering anti-rollbar
Strange adjustable shocks
Fully built 8.8 with 33spline axles/spool and 5/8studs etc

Then I moved on to do the through floor subframe connectors, they are all home built using 2x2 square tubing.

Also scored some nice leather seats that match the nice grampa creme.

#108 ·
That's more like it!

Nice build man and I love it. Many a year ago I had a mint '82 Fairmont Futura and had planned to make it a drag car equipped with a SBC. I had two other cars but drove the Fairmont regularly, more so than the brand new truck sitting in the driveway. A damn bouncer at a titty bar kept bugging me about buying it until I gave in and sold it. I'm still kicking my own ass over that one. Bob Glidden went undefeated in in a Fairmont goddamn!

#109 ·
Pulled the old straight 6 auto combo:

Also swapped from a 28X10.5 et drag to a 275/60/15 drag radial.

Got the old turbo kit off and now I get to decide what I want to do, turbo kit consits of:

Gm truck manifolds
Twin mp T70 turbos with .68 A/R T4
Turbosmart 38mm wastegates
Tial 50mm blow off
2.5" hot side piping
3" down pipes
31x4x12 fmic

Next came the cutting of the trunk, in order to get the weight where I wanted it and fit the stuff I planned to put back there it meant cutting the whole trunk floor out. I still need to tie in the rearmost fuel cell support bars, they will be tied into the chute mount crossmember. ;)

After that I needed to get a mock up engine set in the car so I could build the transmission crossmember and start fitting stuff:

Still not happy with the support the trans x member had I added a gusset to each side but I still plan to add a support to keep from forward and rearward movement:

#110 ·
I tried to fit the new edelbrock proflo xt to see if that would be a possible option for me to upgrade from the ls6 I was running, as you can see in the pics there was NO way this sucker was gonna fit under a stock hood. :( I also got some powder coated,smoothed and V banded manifolds. :)

I also decided on a mildly ported ls2 manifold mostly for its 90mm intake which I think is a large bottleneck on the ls6.

Pulled all the stock heater stuff out to make room for my water to air intercooler piping that will reside in the backseat area. The stock Heater and heaterbox assembly will be replaced by the tiny light weight flex-a-lite mojave heater old on the left new on the right:

Under the dash, pipe is just there to try and give me some type of visual idea of what I am up against, the real piping will be alluminum and will be 3.5" feed and return:

Also made a little more progress on the dash panel, Not super happy with how it is coming out but it will work for now. The yellow circle is just me trying to plan where to put the digital boost gauge:

#111 ·
Also recently finished off the front end which includes the following:

Upr cromoly K member/A arms
Strange 10 way adjustable struts
Upr Coil over kit
Eibach 14" 175lb springs
Upr steel 3 bolt caster camber plates
99+ mustang spindles/brakes

I will post more pics as I make progress!

#112 ·
few pics of the whole car as well as the caster camber plates etc sitting in the engine bay, the front wheels will be coated to match the rears as well as sportsman fronts mounted on them:

#114 ·
Tirefryin, nice work on the zephyr. I really like the v-bands on the cast truck manifolds. Are they going to hold up to the heat cycles? If so, that's some cool shit!!!

-Dave
These have already been run for a year on a buddies turbo deal so I am sure they will be fine. They are actually out getting re-coated as we speak!

Did a bit of work tonight on the future chute mount/trailer hitch :p

I will be plating the frame before the tube gets welded in place and there will also be some more bracing to the leg that sticks out. Also plan to tie the rear most fuel cell mounts into the cross bar.

I appologize for the terrible cell phone pics but its all I had with me at the time.

#117 ·
couple more pics of the struts/coil overs, Mind the rusty strut bolts and gross inner fenders all of that will be cleaned up before its done...... Also waiting on an A arm hardware kit so the way too long huge bolts are on to get things rolling.

#120 ·
Sorry for the millions of pics , I just figured a picture is worth athousand words......

Got a little more work done on the chute mount... made some plates to weld to the frame rails before I weld the chute mount in place, probably not neccesary but I am sure cant hurt.Obviously I will have to clean the frame etc up better before any welding takes place.

The plate on the frame rail, It will be fully welded all the way around:

Here is the mount cross member on the floor with the two frame rail plates, I still need to triangulate the outrigger of the "T" but ran out of time tonight.

#121 ·
Jesus I feel like i am theonly posting in here... wheres the rest of the ls builds?

Made some more progress tonight, Got the plates welded to the frame rails and triangulated the cross bar.... Still gotta clean the plates up a bit and then shorten the outrigger a little to the length I want and weld the works in!

#122 ·
Jesus I feel like i am theonly posting in here... wheres the rest of the ls builds?
They're out there. Most choose not to document every inch but merely every 2 or 3 feet or so.

Take a break killer.

#126 ·
Ok ladies and gents.. Chute mount is DONE! well until I get the chute and build the pack mount and tether mount.

Now I am gonna build some nice light bumper mounts and finish bracing the fuel cell mounts etc, sheet the trunk floor in and start on the cage!

I will keep the pics to a minimum this time LOL

#127 ·
Just received these pictures this morning. Progress comes in different ways and the car is finally ready to go to Alston Chassisworks next work to start all the fabrication for the suspension (front and rear), FAB 9 rear end and 25.3 cage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.