Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Need imput on G Body rear suspension setup

18K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JeffMcKC 
#1 ·
1980 Malibu, Big Block, Th400, 9" Ford rear, 28" tall rear tire.
What do you think? I will try to answer any questions. Haven't had it to the track but on the street it doesn't seem to lift the front end like it should. Coil overs 130 lb springs in the rear and trick springs and 90/10's in the front.

See less See more
#2 ·
54% on the nose might be a little much unless you're on a perfect track. Can you move weight from the front to the back to get that more around 51% or so?

#3 ·
Ok, I didn't ignore your response. It took me this long to get a new set of heads. Swapping from steel to aluminum. I will re-weight when done. How do the angles on the control arms and such look?

#4 ·
How free does the front end move? What are the front springs rated at?

#6 ·
What kind of power are you going to be making... just says BBC. Could be a high 9 sec. car, or a high 7 sec. car. Your power level will determine if your control arms geometry is fine. For a bunch of power (1000 hp or more), you might wanna lower the lower control arms on the frame side to get it closer to level or else it looks like it might hit the tire a little too hard.

#17 ·
So is it a good thing to have the front and rear weights the same or very close? I never put much thought into weights etc. Say for an example, if the rear is 100-200lb lighter (just saying) do you just add weight in the back to balance out the weight?

#12 ·
SOOO. I absorbed every bodies advice. Swapped the steel heads out for aluminum. Figured I took 100 lbs off the frt end. Took it to the track track finally. With only 32 degrees of timing the results made me very happy.
!.34...60' 9.66 @137. Can't wait til spring to really dial it in.

PS Oh yeah BTW I have to get the chassis certed and a comp lic before I go back.
At least that's what the track requested...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.