Open Headers VS Mufflers

• Mufflers

Votes: 213 84.9%
  • Open Headers

Votes: 38 15.1%

Mufflers VS open headers

21K views 83 replies 74 participants last post by  Power Mad Racing 
#1 ·
Just curious what everyone thinks of running open headers verse mufflers.

My own opinion is that I would rather run the mufflers as its a hell of a lot quiter in the cabin and I can hear the engine better.

Also I think cars sound better when there run threw the mufflers as well.

#9 ·
& I think that anything slower than a 10 second ET, should require them. too many 13 second bracket cars with open headers thats just obnoxious.

Bob
Bingo! Seems like anymore open headers are a fad that has long been out of style and is pointless with muffler technology today.

#7 ·
I use to think Flowmasters were the chit until I got these Dynatech collector mufflers. Sounds much better and not as loud. But then again maybe I'm just getting old.LOL

#11 ·
I prefer to run mufflers, but a few times this year I've had to remove them and run open headers to pick up the E/T I needed. I typically picked up .05 in the 1/8 when I removed the mufflers, mostly due to the weight (about 45 lbs with 3" pipe back to the rear end).

#19 ·
I run Edelbrock SDT (sound deadning technology) 3 inch stainless mufflers and love them. I had to order them from Edelbrock through Summit. Their moderatly loud and resonate some like a flowmaster at idle and quiet right down at cruising speed. Great for passing cops or trying not to gain attention. I can cruise with at 60 and maintain a normal conversation with out screaming.

#22 ·
Hell no, no mufflers. Comp Eliminator, Pro Stock, and Super Stock would be terrible if those guys ran mufflers. Todd Patterson's motors sound so good without mufflers, why would you want to muffle that. You guys are crazy! Not to mention how good that Super Stock Hemi and FE motors sound. Its music to my ears!

#23 ·
I like mufflers. My old 73' Dodge DartSport had a 3.5" X-pipe with 3.5" Magnaflow race mufflers. It ran 9.90 through the mufflers, we dropped the 75 pound exhaust system and made another pass and went 9.90. Sounded perfect on the street, almost too quiet at the track, and it didn't slow the car down at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.