Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Bonneville 2013

7K views 60 replies 29 participants last post by  CutlassRacer 
#1 ·
Well we got back from Bonneville in one piece and were able to get me in the 200 CLUB!!!!
We had a great week and brought the car back in one piece.
We have the 4th fastest record of the meet at 250.563 on a horrible track!

Paul Powell

See less See more
#6 ·
The moisture content of the salt and how much salt is on the course. It rained the week before and there was very little traction. (by the way there is never real good traction).
When it rains it causes the packed salt to loosen and "tear up". You want the salt to be moist enough to get traction but not so moist it falls apart. When it is too dry is turns to dust and that is not good either.

For those who don't know the records are set over your average speed over a one mile section of the course. The qualifying run is then averaged with your back-up run and that average is your record.

#9 ·
Engine is a 376 ci canted valve Small Block Chevrolet with a 106 mm Precision Turbo.

Fuel we run is the required A8D (ERC Brand this is Bonneville Spec).

Inter cooled with a Precision PT-4000.

Turbo 400 Trans (TCI)

and TCI converter.

Very de-tuned at only 9 psi Boost.

Paul Powell

#13 ·
congrats.... :cool:

are you using any traction control ?

We had issues this year and weren't able to make it ( F/BGC). Looking to get my dad in the 200mph club.
Still don't have our engine from the builder yet............. :mad:

#16 ·
congrats on the good pass and coming back in one piece.. now its time to turn up that boost and go for 300 right:cool:

#18 ·
Old Record was 231.561

G-code
As far as traction control No. I do have the ability to run it (I have it on the car) but we did not turn it on. Mainly because I only had one shake down and then went for the record.

If you ever need help with getting traction control, data systems, or EFI for Bonneville (or Drag) let me know I have lots of experience with it.

Paul Powell

#19 ·
dezlfrek
That is the plan (300 +)
The salt just would not take is this year.
To give you an idea of the records this year we were the 4th Fastest record of the meet!
We were right with the #2 and #3 but Number 1 was Speed Demon (The Baddest of the Baddest LSR car):cool:

Rank Veh Entry Name Engine Body New Record Driver Name Date
1 7151 Poteet & Main Speed Demon C BFS 437.183 George Poteet 16-Aug-13
2 1429 Hot Rod Hoodlums C FRMR 256.459 Corey Severa 14-Aug-13
3 1636 BC Racing AA AA CBGALT 255.382 Roger Beckman 15-Aug-13
4 80 Hizer Racing Spirits Racing Spirits B BGMS 250.563 Paul Powell (2) 13-Aug-13
5 54 Spirit of Joshua C FRMR 247.963 Anthony Young 14-Aug-13
6 9997 Salt Cat Racing XO BGL 241.502 Doug Grieve 11-Aug-13
7 4240 Hondata CRX H H BFCC 238.221 Miriam Macmillan 13-Aug-13
8 1584 Hot Rod Hoodlums B GR 234.398 Troy Hutcheson 14-Aug-13
9 4240 Hondata CRX H H BFCC 232.585 Miriam Macmillan 11-Aug-13
10 369 Waters, Manghelli & Romero F BGR 231.358 Lee Kennedy 13-Aug-13

#31 ·
Courtney Hizer was a very dear friend of mine. I have built and tuned for him for the last 10+ years. I was honored with being selected by his wife to be the driver of his Buick (Lesabre T-Type) and leave his ashes on the salt (through a parachute pull).

I am now continuing his racing legacy with his wife and former team members. This coming year I hope to put his wife in the club (200) with a 3.0L stage two Buick engine. If the salt is right I will be replacing that engine and pushing for the very exclusive 300 club myself.

As far as getting into LSR Start at a mile event like ECTA (OHIO). And get on a team or just travel to the salt for an event. Once you are there talk and talk and talk some more to the racers. Chose a class and go for it. If you are really interested I would be glad to host anyone that is really interested in LSR. Once you get you hooked you will be salted for life.

Paul Powell

By the way how many people do you know can say "I have averaged over 200 mph for over a mile and have a record to prove it." Less then 800 people can claim that
Over 300 Less then <85
Over 400 14 people!!!!

And I love drag racing and going 200 plus in the 1/8 or 1/4 but a whole run is 3.6 to 6 seconds and time spent at 200 < 1.5 seconds.

But I spent over 60 seconds over 200 on each run!!!! It's a blast to say the least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.