Yellow Bullet Forums banner

I want a MADE IN THE USA engine stand.

22K views 52 replies 37 participants last post by  trmnatr 
#1 ·
For around 2-300 bucks. Is that so much to ask?:rolleyes:

#7 ·
A couple would be the way to go cost wise. It would be easy and the quality would be much better than anything you can buy off the shelf. When you swing by for the spacers just bring your favorite one by and let me get some dims off it. The most expensive item will be the casters. You do the paint I don't paint ! LOL~ Jason

#5 ·
I have an old Ex-Cell that I bought from Sams Club back in like.... 1995-ish. Made in the USA, high quality, best one I have.

I have 3 nice ones, one borrowed from my chassis guy, and then like 3 china junk. They gotta go.

#6 ·
Ha! I hear you. My best engine stand came from Sears, I think, about 20 years ago. I have a cheap POS that probably came from China with wheels that are so small I am afraid to move it with an engine on it!

My engine builder used to build his own engine dolleys, he couldn't stand the junk that is out there.

#15 ·
#21 ·
I have some that were made by a Montague company out of Ohio. They have a multi position head and an attachment that allows the block to be mounted standing up. I've had them for years and when I worked at Edelbrock we had scads of them. I googled the company but seems they only make pizza ovens now. I think I have a schematic and parts list for them somewhere I'll look and see. Great stand though.

#23 ·
I have the cats ass in the stand department. it has roller bearings in the head and an air operated "pinch valve"? that locks it in any position and stays there..maybe I will build a few..you can cut the head off the import junk and weld this on

#31 ·
I got the 2000 lb rated stand from Jegs. I know it is not American and it was a little nicked up when I got it do to shitty packing, but that thing rolls so nice with the engine on it and it is very stable.

I like the design of it. There are two metal straps helping to support the weight, so you not stressing all the cheap bolts.

Harbor Freight has one for 2000 lbs, but it is not designed as nice, so don't waste your time.

Link below:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80042/10002/-1

#34 ·
I got the 2000 lb rated stand from Jegs. I know it is not American and it was a little nicked up when I got it do to shitty packing, but that thing rolls so nice with the engine on it and it is very stable.

I like the design of it. There are two metal straps helping to support the weight, so you not stressing all the cheap bolts.

Harbor Freight has one for 2000 lbs, but it is not designed as nice, so don't waste your time.

Link below:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80042/10002/-1
I have that Jeg's stand too. Nice piece! :cool:
(add the drip pan pan..it's worth it)

#32 ·
Someone needs to come up with a design and price point to build a decent stand for a decent price.... my favorites are always the ones guys make in their garage. I had a China junk piece that was SO BAD it has never had a motor on it, dam traveling tool sales.... I'm going to throw that POS thru the window of their rig next time they stop in town!

#35 ·
I have the Jegs stand and the angle of the legs interferes with my engine hoist, couldn't get the engine under the hoist hook. I went back to a OTC 3 leg and like it a lot. The jegs stand will now be converted into a grill/smoker stand. You will definately get what you pay for, and I learned the hard way. The OTC will be the last stand I will buy - unless it gets nabbed, Dave.

#41 ·
I have the Jegs stand and the angle of the legs interferes with my engine hoist, couldn't get the engine under the hoist hook. I went back to a OTC 3 leg and like it a lot. The jegs stand will now be converted into a grill/smoker stand. You will definately get what you pay for, and I learned the hard way. The OTC will be the last stand I will buy - unless it gets nabbed, Dave.
You just need to know how to do it. I know what your saying, but there is an simple way to get on there.

Then again, it may be your engine hoist design. I got my hoist from Harbor Freight and lit works well.

#37 ·
My best one is a NAPA 1000#er with a gear head on it and 4 wheels with locks, and the spacers are so long I had trouble scoring long enough bolts for it here in BFE where I live. I can r&r the flexplate on the stand no sweat. I bought it about 5 years ago, think I paid about 2-300. I probably don't do 1% of the engines some of you guys do, but it has been used a good bit. I redid my shop a few months back and it had a bare smallblock on it, and every morning I would push it out 100' and evry evening back in again going over rocks and cracks and crap didn't phase it and I could haul ass. I don't remember if it is USA. Probly not, even NAPA has succumbed. It's gotten where if you go shopping for US made like my Dad taught me back in the 60's(put Jap crap back) you go home empty handed or empty pocketed. I hope it's USA but I have a gut feeling it said china on the box and I was pissed but it was shiny and sweet and I said hell with it I like it anyway. If it's chinese it's chinese that gave a damn.

I want one of those ones with the built in table and shelf thing a friggin bucket will fit under. That's the bad part of my NAPA stand, it has a gusset that is in the way of modifying it with a tabletop.

#38 ·
I bought one from Northern Tool for like $59.00 or $79.00 bucks black powder coated with chromed head. It folds up in the center when not in use. It has four wheels. With a steel block big block with 2 carbs you don't even know the motor's on it !! My buddy bought one of those with a crank from Advance with a blown hemi on it work's pretty good also !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.