Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Holley DIS Coil Wiring Help with LS Harness

3K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  S2H 
#1 ·
ANYBODY who can answer my questions is welcome to reply
even better if you can provide pictures/part #'s or drawings with instructions

I have the Holley Dominator on my car...
currently using the LS Coils, 1 per cylinder...
getting ready to change to a set of the Holley DIS Coils as I have seen several results with making more power and having less issues at higher cylinder pressures...

My question...
IF I buy 4 coils(8 cylinders worth of wires)
put 2 coils per side....retaining my coil near plug look and distances
is there a harness I can buy to connect directly to the LS connector so it becomes plug and play?

or will I have to chop up the stock coil wiring to "Make" a harness

also, do I have to change the firing order listed in the software to be able to make them fire in the proper order if they are connected physically in pairs to odds and evens?

if it turns out to be a pain in the ass... I'll just find another method and another coil....

it is not an option to mount all 4 coils in one spot and just run wires to appropriate cylinders...
needs to be split up as 2 coil packs per side and wires stay on that side with their 4 cylinders.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think what you are doing is the waste spark method, one coil powers two plugs/ one on each side of engine, will need plug wires running across engine. Buddy just did one and mounted the coils/modules at the motor mount area and ran wires under pan so its not a mess up high. Wiring I believe he did have to repin.

#4 ·
I guess the question comes down to the fact that its 4 pins...
A Chassis Ground
B Trigger Ground
C Trigger ECU
D 12v Battery

so how does it know to fire on plug 1 or plug 2?
do both plugs fire at the same time?.. meaning it would fire Cylinder # 1 and #6 at the same time, and then fire again when it got to real #6(also firing #1 at the same time again?)
If that is the case... I dont want that at all...

#8 ·
LS Coils are not an option
Holley EFI Dominator and LS Coils do not play nice at High cylinder pressures....and I will have high cylinder pressures this year.

and on top of it... the truck coils are not any better than the ones I already have...its been proven on an oscilloscope.

certainly not going to the MSD LS coil pieces of junk...I've personally tuned a car back to back with only a swap of those coils and it lost power when swapping to the MSD...

are 8 Holley coils possible?
Just need to trigger each one individually per cylinder?

#10 ·
its an issue with coil placement more than anything...
where I have space...doesnt work with the DIS Wastefire coils...and I'm not running wires crossing the engine

I talked to somebody at the shop today as well... it seemed that If I wanted to run 8, I would have to come up with a driver of some kind...or something like that...and I wasnt going to go there...
trying to keep it simple and pretty...

this is not an all out drag car....its a daily driver that goes to a hand full of shows and hits the track a couple times a year...
I make it go fast so that I can tell people "I did it because I can"

#11 ·
it is also my understanding that I lose the Individual cylinder timing....and I know I may be pulling a degree or two out of a few cylinders with the nitrous(primarily 7 and 8 as the typical problem cylinders in an LS engine)...dependent on the plug readings... so there is a big reason why I dont want waste fire..

Its probably going to sound like a stupid reason to people who realize that this is not an all out drag car....
but its a big deal to me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.